loosing the view. Rant time

dave02
dave02 Posts: 325
edited September 2013 in Road general
i live in the lincs area its nice and flat with veiws over fields and things, BUT i have to spend all my time looking down at the road because of F
g potholes, when they do FIX them they leave humps, so now we have humps and holes, i saw a hump and swerved to miss it, straight into the grand F
g canyon, they must have run out of tarmac, i am not happy it did no damage to my bike but my neck will take some time to fix, done now, feel better.

Comments

• Have you reported the potholes?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • dave02
    dave02 Posts: 325
    i would need to spend 24hrs a day to report every f
    g hole,
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    But if you're not doing anything to sort it out you can't really complain, lots of people, me included, will have reported pot holes and sometimes, just sometimes it gets things sorted :)
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • arran77 wrote:
    But if you're not doing anything to sort it out you can't really complain, lots of people, me included, will have reported pot holes and sometimes, just sometimes it gets things sorted :)
    http://www.fillthathole.org.uk/ is a good way of doing this. Once the council has had a pothole reported, it is then their responsibility should an accident occur because of that hole - hence they are more likely to get a move on. And, let's face it, if you see a lethal pothole, do nothing, and then someone gets hurt, well...
  • report them and they get inspected and fixed quickly
    Focus Cayo Pro
    Cotic Soul custom
    Merida Cross 4
    Planet X Dirty Disco custom cyclocross
    Tern D8 clown bike
  • not round here they don't,takes ages to get them fixed.

firstly a guy comes round and inspects them,marks them with a spray can and then a long time after that the DOE come and fix them.

and in the meantime if another pothole pops up beside it when the guys come to fix it,because it doesn't have a yellow mark around it the workers don't fix it cos they don't get paid on there bonus to do it..unbelievable.

I know this cos my bro-in-law works in the DOE....how f**kin difficult can it be to throw a shovel full or 2 of tarmac into the hole when your there,must save us taxpayers a lot of money for them to all come back a week later and fix the one they should've done when they where standing beside it..NOT...and then they talk about making savings,doesnt make sense to me.

sorry about the wee rant there fella :oops:
    Lapierre Aircode 300
    Merida
  • not round here they don't,takes ages to get them fixed.

firstly a guy comes round and inspects them,marks them with a spray can and then a long time after that the DOE come and fix them.

and in the meantime if another pothole pops up beside it when the guys come to fix it,because it doesn't have a yellow mark around it the workers don't fix it cos they don't get paid on there bonus to do it..unbelievable.

I know this cos my bro-in-law works in the DOE....how f**kin difficult can it be to throw a shovel full or 2 of tarmac into the hole when your there,must save us taxpayers a lot of money for them to all come back a week later and fix the one they should've done when they where standing beside it..NOT...and then they talk about making savings,doesnt make sense to me.

Maybe we should all take a can of yellow spray paint round with us to correct their omissions...
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    one thing Ive been pondering lately is at what stage does a pothole become well a pothole that the council must repair,as there are some quite bad roads I have to use to cycle on, some have trenches youd think the road was being actually being worked on they are gouged so deep into the road surface, but they just get the quick repair, and it breaks down immediately again.

but equally there are roads that arent potholed as such as, but are like cattle grids with very uneven surfaces, bumps, lumps etc, perfectly unnoticeable in your average white van, but lethal on a bike in the dark if you hit any of them wrong, theres also clearly a massive hole developing on one road where the surface under the tarmac has clearly gone and Im expecting a bore hole to appear any minute, but the tarmac isnt broken yet, its just turning into an ever increasing depression and hit every time you pass it.
  • hatch87
    hatch87 Posts: 352
    not round here they don't,takes ages to get them fixed.

But why should they? That's like getting a plumber round to service your boiler and expect him to fix your leaking bath with his own time and materials. Its no way to run a business. If they go out to fill an inspected hole and come back using 3 times the amount of expected materials who's paying for it?
    http://app.strava.com/athletes/686217
    Come on! You call this a storm? Blow, you son of a bitch! Blow! It's time for a showdown! You and me! I'm right here! Come and get me!
  • dave02 wrote:
    i would need to spend 24hrs a day to report every f
    g hole,

So you are going to complain about a problem and not do anything about it? You sound very productive, I'm glad you don't work for the organisations who fill potholes.
  • If you don't report it then nothing will ever get fixed. The local council is obliged to record and act on any formal road complaints - plus if you report a fault then a couple of weeks later there is an accident involving the same fault then you have grounds for compensation from the council's insurers.

Most councils are now waking up to compensation claims for the state of the roads following the last couple of rough winters so will be looking to minimise potential liability.

Also there may be at least one enlightened person on the council who sees the stats for potholes and actually does something about it, but again if you don't report it then they won't know to act.
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    What in Sam Hill does 'loosing the view' even mean?
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Grill wrote:
    What in Sam Hill does 'loosing the view' even mean?

I thought the OP made it quite clear ... he can no longer ride looking at the surroundings - he has to scrutinise every inch of road to avoid all the potholes ...
    TBH, it sounds like he may be better off getting a MTB and just going off road - it'll be smoother!
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    hatch87 wrote:
    not round here they don't,takes ages to get them fixed.

But why should they? That's like getting a plumber round to service your boiler and expect him to fix your leaking bath with his own time and materials. Its no way to run a business. If they go out to fill an inspected hole and come back using 3 times the amount of expected materials who's paying for it?
    Technically you are correct, but that doesn't mean the above approach isn't farcical. If the repair decider turned up on the same day as the workmen and marked all the holes on that day which then all got repaired that would be a saving in the long term through more efficient use of resources.
    Obviously there would need to be a cost estimate done prior to the work so the contractor has an idea what scale of work they are undertaking. i.e. if today the estimator sees 10 potholes requiring x amount of material, you could assume y amount more work will need doing with every passing week before the work is carried out. The repair decider can approve the gap between estimate and actual work on the day. Only one person makes two visits and all the work gets done in a sensible manner.

That's just an idea shooting from the hip. We should tackle waste, not excuse it.
  • Grill
    Does no one know the difference between 'lose' and 'loose'? How am I the only one bothered by this?

Potholes build character. Just bunny-hop them. Eyes on the road when you're riding. If you feel the need to take in the view properly, then just stop and appreciate it.
  • Grill wrote:
    Does no one know the difference between 'lose' and 'loose'? How am I the only one bothered by this?

Potholes build character. Just bunny-hop them. Eyes on the road when you're riding. If you feel the need to take in the view properly, then just stop and appreciate it.

+1^^^^

Not to mention the "veiws" he's missing out on, and the fact he's "not happy it did no damage" to his bike, personally I'd be chuffed as nuts that it did no damage!!!!!!!!!

:lol:
    Scott CR1 Pro (Build in progress!!)
    Giant Defy 3
  • slowbike
    Grill wrote:
    Some of us just don't worry about little errors like that ... its the meening that mattars ... :p
    Grill wrote:
    but it would be nice to look around for at least some of the ride ... otherwise you might as well just be on a turbo!
  • Grill
    Indeed. I audax so I know all about the scenery, but I'm also acutely aware that it's my responsibility to stay upright, not the roads.

In regards to the 'meening', it's not like there/their/they're as loose/lose are completely different words that don't even sound the same. Phonetics can't get you out of this one.
  • slowbike
    Grill wrote:
    In regards to the 'meening', it's not like there/their/they're as loose/lose are completely different words that don't even sound the same. Phonetics can't get you out of this one.
    Some ppl just have mind blocks to spelling of certain words - loose/lose is one of my mind blocks too. I generally avoid using either in anything written.
    I'm not after anything to "get me out of this one" as I'm not aware that I'm in anything to get out of. I can only assume you presume yourself to be correct and I'm wrong - which is not the case - I said the OP made the MEANING perfectly clear. Which he did - even if he used the wrong words. If you couldn't read the intended meaning then that says a lot more about your inabilities than the OPs ...
  • Grill
    I'm sure you don't confuse noose with nose. The double 'o' indicates a long sound, pretty easy really. If you're unsure then just Google it.
    To be frank, the original post may as well be written in Klingon because it certainly isn't English.

Anyway, once I was brought up to speed on the intent, I threw in my two cents. Joys of the interwebs...
  • slowbike
    Grill wrote:
    I'm sure you don't confuse noose with nose. The double 'o' indicates a long sound, pretty easy really. If you're unsure then just Google it.
    Ah - English is nice because it's so regimented ... oh ... it isn't.
    Just think about it - say Lose out loud - forget your English spelling championship medal and then just write it down. To me it could easily be Loose. Or think about the Cornish town Looe ...
    Lost is easy, but Lose/Losing/Loose/Loosing are not so - and it's not the O ... it's the firmness of the S ...
    Grill wrote:
    To be frank, the original post may as well be written in Klingon because it certainly isn't English.
    Really - you're that bad at reading? (or is that Reading? Surely that should be spelt Redding)
    Grill wrote:
    Anyway, once I was brought up to speed on the intent, I threw in my two cents. Joys of the interwebs...
    Just glad we could show you the way ...
  • Fixing the potholes isn't always the answer. There's a stretch near me which has had fix on top of fix on top of fix, all of which are in state of falling apart. The only way to fix it is to strip it all back and resurface. Which they seem to do with the dual carriageway every year or so...
  • slowbike
    Fixing the potholes isn't always the answer. There's a stretch near me which has had fix on top of fix on top of fix, all of which are in state of falling apart. The only way to fix it is to strip it all back and resurface. Which they seem to do with the dual carriageway every year or so...

We've got plenty of stretches where the resurfacing is breaking down leaving a very poor finish - it's often smoother to ride where it's broken up completely and you've got the previous surface to ride on - and this is on main roads!
  • Grill
    Oh the irony of a Yank high school dropout giving English lessons... The fact that you don't know the fundamentals of your own language is something that should be addressed with your old teachers, not with me.

Alas I have no spelling championship medal as I was out in the first round and my sister ended up taking home the laurels (sore subject really). I can spell both American English and the Queen's English without pause, so if you'd like to make me a medal I'd happily sport it.

Look, I'm a big fan of all facets of the English language and it breaks my heart when I see it abused. I could pontificate for days as to why your 'reading' argument holds no weight, but I see no point as we're already too far off topic.

Back to the topic at hand- Keep one eye on the road and the other on the scenery. Sorted.
  • slowbike
    Grill wrote:
    Oh the irony of a Yank high school dropout giving English lessons...
    I can trace my family back to mid 1500's ...all in England ...
    you?
  • Grill
    Slowbike wrote:
    Grill wrote:
    you?

And yet they didn't teach you the language. Shame.

This is just getting silly. If you really want to know more about my heritage then PM me. No point in polluting this thread further.
  • slowbike
    Grill wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:
    Grill wrote:
    you?

And yet they didn't teach you the language. Shame.

This is just getting silly. If you really want to know more about my heritage then PM me. No point in polluting this thread further.

Perhaps then ... you can explain why it's Choose/Choosing and not Chose/Chosing...

Or perhaps you could just accept that English isn't always clear cut and it's easy to make little inconsequential mistakes ...
  • Grill
    Just this once...
    choose - verb. You can change between present and future tense with a modifier.
    choosing - can be the present participle or a gerund
    chose - past tense

Chosing can't exist because you can have the present participle of a word that's already past tense (it default back to the root) and you can't make it into a noun thus it can't be a gerund.

Not rocket science- just the English language...
  • slowbike
    Grill wrote:
    Just this once...
    choose - verb. You can change between present and future tense with a modifier.
    choosing - can be the present participle or a gerund
    chose - past tense

Chosing can't exist because you can have the present participle of a word that's already past tense (it default back to the root) and you can't make it into a noun thus it can't be a gerund.

Not rocket science- just the English language...
    Nope.... You just don't get it. Or perhaps you do but can't admit it .... Poor old grill - never wrong but not quite right ....
  • Grill
    I will take that as a compliment.

Lose/loose is not inconsequential, they're entirely different words like 'desert' and 'dessert'. Not knowing the difference is right up there with the biggies such as there/they're/their and those who spell ' a lot' as one word. I've binned many a CV for less.

Ignorance is not an excuse in the age of information.