Strava question.

ben@31
ben@31 Posts: 2,327
edited September 2013 in Road general
Is there anyway to give negative Kudos?

After you know the only reason a nobhead went out to do a segment today was to beat the KOM you got the other day. And you know full well there's no other reason he went well out of his way to do that segment.

I wouldn't mind if his KOM was a bi-product of regularly cycling that route for enjoyment, but he never took any interest in turning off down that dead end road before.
"The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby

Comments

• madtam
    madtam Posts: 141
    Go out and take it back.

But before you do, just stop and think how much it actually matters in the overall scheme of things.
  • ^^^^That maketh sense^^^^

But go and take it back anyway 8)
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    I don't condone violence, but use his Strava profile to find out where he lives and shoot him in the face. Then shoot yourself in the face for being such a petty pizzflap of a bloke.

Note: please please don't take this post seriously.
  • madtam
    madtam Posts: 141
    You need the time to meditate on the importance of these things in order to increase the determination to be the fastest. The correct mental attitude is very important and just being a bit peeved really isn't enough, you need time to work up the full rage which will give you the edge.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Most weeks I gain a KOM and most weeks I lose one. Getting them doesn't make me a better rider and losing them doesn't mean I have got worse.

Let's face it, one day the whole of the UK will be covered in multiple Stava segments and they will all have a KOM who really is a good rider (Elite level or above) and us mere mortals won't be worrying about KOMs anymore apart from the 2% rise over 20 yards past the chip shop.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    I've only ever had one and that only lasted a weekend when the chap I beat went out and beat me on the Sunday afternoon, but I don't care that much. Some guy calling hisself Ian Stannard seems to be top of the tree on a lot of my routes, & I don't fancy my chances against him. Enjoy the riding; Strava is secondary.
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    question is, why did you go down a dead end road?!
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • Not sure why you're getting upset about it. It happens all the time.

If the wind is good and I'm feeling good, then I'll go out and target certain hills in our area. It's fun, that's what it's all about. Honest, simple, friendly competition.

At the same time, there is an Elite level rider in our area that could take any of my KOM's with his eyes shut, so you can't take it too seriously.

IF you really need to have KOM's then create the most bizarre, twisty, turny segment you can think of...... :D
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    I just created a new segment to find one rider is already well clear of me ;)

Gives you something to aim for :)
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    It's a nice idea... Why don't you flag it up? I held a KOM for one whole day before the entire population of East Cornwall set out to beat it (that includes old ladies on zimmers) .. I even set up a seg that starts on my drive... I'm only second on that...
  • ben@31
    edited September 2013
    Maybe it’s just me, but the reason why I go out and cycle is not just to take someone’s KOM away from them.

I’ve never sat at my computer screen waiting for someone to get a KOM, then the next day go 22km out of my way to cycle a segment down the same cul-de-sac. Then cycle back.

There are some segments near me I know I could have a chance of taking someones KOM away from them(from looking at the avg speeds). But I haven’t gone out to take the KOM away from the current owner the next day. Usually because it would have involved me planning a shorter trip out, where I usually don’t go, just to do that one tiny segment, then come home again.

Even Tour De France pros have the decency not to snipe a stage win they don’t need. I think they are a better and more chivalrous man for it, knowing they could have won the stage if they really wanted to, but they still allow someone else to have it. It's like saying they can go on to win the TDF even without that stage.
  • Strava will attract this sort of no-mark bad bike-handling nodder blert.

Just enjoy your riding.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • ben@31
    Mikey23 wrote:
    .. I even set up a seg that starts on my drive... I'm only second on that...

Lol, that made me laugh.

Maybe you could finish a new segment inside your garage? Then lock the door shut. I'd be amused if you have middle aged men in lycra hurriedly knocking on your door.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Just think - if you got that wound up whilst doing the segment then nobody else would have the kom....

Are you really bothered that someone got a KOM after going out of their way .... Really? Do you not have more important things to worry about ?

I've lost a KOM on my commute home - just meant I went back and hit it harder - then lost it again ... Now I've got it back but it took some doing. Almost at the point where I need a lead out train ..... ;)
  • ben@31
    I'm only wound up because the guy knows me and he could have cycled anywhere today, but its obvious he ONLY cycled that segment today to take the KOM from me.
  • I thought that was all part of the fun of Strava. When I get the dreaded "uh-oh" email from strava saying someone just took one of my KOMs, I'll either flag it if it's someone clearly in a car, or I'll make a note to go counter-attack ASAP. I've had some epic strava battles with some of the local strava users. It's just a bit of fun, simmer down.
  • I think you need help! You're taking things wayyyyyyyy too serious.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    @ben@31... I do wonder if missus has a fancy man in Lycra. I think it's because I have a cyclist friend who lives opposite and strava assumes we are starting from the same point ...
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Calm down dear!

Now can you share your strava profile? ;)
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    I think you need help! You're taking things wayyyyyyyy too serious.

+1 someone is faster than you, not the end of the world!

also, if there segment ends in a cul-de-sac how is anyone (yourself included) going to just naturally cycle through it? unless they live at the end of the road why else would you be there?
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • jotko
    jotko Posts: 457
    I am a big fan of strava, but the harsh truth is that there are some guys (and girls) in each area who could pretty much take any KOM they wanted if they were minded to do so.

If you are an average or even a good cyclist with a KOM or 3, the only reason you have them is because nobody better that you has seriously tried to get it.

So a KOM is really nothing to get hung up about, if you lost it, someone rode quicker than you, that's kind of the point.

In my area (Bristol/Bath) there are some super quick riders, and seeing how you measure up against these guys is part of the fun!
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    There's always somebody faster and in Derbyshire it's a bloke called Rob Britton, his name seems to appear at the top or near to the top of segments all over the county. He'll cycle for a living so what do you expect, I'm guessing that there's folk like him in counties all over the country and I'd guess that they're really not trying too.
    It's a bit of fun you can't let it get to you.
  • Bobbinogs wrote:
    Let's face it, one day the whole of the UK will be covered in multiple Stava segments and they will all have a KOM who really is a good rider (Elite level or above) and us mere mortals won't be worrying about KOMs anymore apart from the 2% rise over 20 yards past the chip shop.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: that nearly made me piss myself laughing bobbinogs...good one
    Lapierre Aircode 300
    Merida
  • mattsaw
    mattsaw Posts: 907
    You may find this excellent guide on how to win KOMs useful :D

http://www.velonomad.com/articles/how-to-win-strava-koms/
    Bianchi C2C - Ritte Bosberg - Cervelo R3
    Strava
  • Hi all,
    I got my first KOM on Sunday. 40 mins for 1.4 km!!!
    I rode through the segment, without logging the end. Stopped for tea &scones at the in-laws then cycled back through the end of the segment. This time Strava registered the end of the segment.
    Someone has set up the segment but not ridden it. Or the end point is not being picked up as is on the other side of the road.
    I don´t think this KOM will last for long.
  • jotko
    jotko Posts: 457
    Hi all,
    I got my first KOM on Sunday. 40 mins for 1.4 km!!!
    I rode through the segment, without logging the end. Stopped for tea &scones at the in-laws then cycled back through the end of the segment. This time Strava registered the end of the segment.
    Someone has set up the segment but not ridden it. Or the end point is not being picked up as is on the other side of the road.
    I don´t think this KOM will last for long.

Ha ha, excellent :lol:
  • I rode a new 40mile route on Monday. The first 15miles was a segment. When I uploaded I was pleased to find I had a 7th with my slow slog as it's a long gradual climb up to 1000ft or so.

However when I clicked to find out more it turns out I was 7th out of 7.

http://www.strava.com/segments/4257016

I tell you, it's amazing how quickly that feeling of jubilation disappeared. :cry:
  • LegendLust
    LegendLust Posts: 1,022
    ben@31 wrote:
    Is there anyway to give negative Kudos?

After you know the only reason a nobhead went out to do a segment today was to beat the KOM you got the other day. And you know full well there's no other reason he went well out of his way to do that segment.

I wouldn't mind if his KOM was a bi-product of regularly cycling that route for enjoyment, but he never took any interest in turning off down that dead end road before.

Get over it and pin a number on your back
  • I rode a new 40mile route on Monday. The first 15miles was a segment. When I uploaded I was pleased to find I had a 7th with my slow slog as it's a long gradual climb up to 1000ft or so.

However when I clicked to find out more it turns out I was 7th out of 7.

http://www.strava.com/segments/4257016

I tell you, it's amazing how quickly that feeling of jubilation disappeared. :cry:

heh I have a number like that! I'm within a few secs of a KOM on my commute, 2nd out of 20 in a london royal park, fairly curious route hence the only 20 rather than 5,000....
  • xixang
    xixang Posts: 235
    ben@31 wrote:
    I'm only wound up because the guy knows me and he could have cycled anywhere today, but its obvious he ONLY cycled that segment today to take the KOM from me.

same thing happened to me. I took a KOM off a work colleague (didn't know it existed at the time). He went out next day and incorporated it into a convoluted route to retake. I got it back a week later, wasn't actively trying to it just happened that way, so he then sent me an email accusing me of targetting his KOMs deliberately when I've seen his oddball routes trying to take segments. what a twonk