Can't believe what just happened

dai_t75
dai_t75 Posts: 189
edited November 2013 in Road general
I am absolutely fuming.

Just coming towards the end of a 39m loop and was going along a quiet road (with plenty of room for 2 cars though) only about 7-8mph when I hear a car come up behind me. I thought it was odd as I heard it slow down and there was plenty of room to pass. Then I hear it creep up closer so I check over my shoulder. Next thing I know some little s*** is hanging out of the passenger window and gives me a push! :x

Luckily I was going slow enough to veer off the road and stay upright, so no damage done to me or the bike. I made sure I kept saying the reg number until I got my phone out and text it to my other half. There was also a witness coming in the opposite direction who saw it all and was more than happy to give his details to me.

Just passed the details onto the plod so it is in their hands now, but hopefully with the reg and witness they will press for something. What do you guys think? I really hope they do go after him as it is bloody dangerous - if I was going 20mph down hill I could be in a bad way right now.

Comments

• kwi
    kwi Posts: 181
    That's worse than having stuff thrown at you, which is the worst I've experienced. Hope the police go heavy handed with the scrote. Keep us informed.
  • Totem
    Totem Posts: 25
    Im assuming that he was trying to push you off rather than give you a little go faster push?
  • total fools! i sadly think that plod will do sod all. they driver won't name the passenger and even with witnesses i doubt anything will happen.

its a shame that idiots try and do stupid things like this thinking its funny and trying to impress their mates. just belive in karma is all i'll say, the little scrote will get his comeuppance!
    Cube Cross 2016
    Willier GTR 2014
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    Can't you get the drivers address via the mib as you been in an incident with them?
    http://www.mib.org.uk/Motor+Insurance+D ... efault.htm
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • sloppyschleckonds
    sloppyschleckonds Posts: 8,019
    edited September 2013
    Psot removed
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • kwi
    kwi Posts: 181
    Welsh bastids
    In general or just the occupants of the car in the opening post? :twisted:
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    With an independent witness there's a good chance they will act... Good job that you and your bike are ok. Imbeciles...
  • Mikey23
    Are you sure there is no psychological damage or whiplash injuries you could claim off their insurance?
  • Mikey23 wrote:
    Are you sure there is no psychological damage or whiplash injuries you could claim off their insurance?

don't be that person :roll:
  • Mikey23
    Tongue was slightly in cheek but it might be a lesson for the scroat if his premiums rocketed... Assuming he is insured that is
  • dai_t75
    MacLeod113 wrote:
    total fools! i sadly think that plod will do sod all. they driver won't name the passenger and even with witnesses i doubt anything will happen.

its a shame that idiots try and do stupid things like this thinking its funny and trying to impress their mates. just belive in karma is all i'll say, the little scrote will get his comeuppance!

Yeah I am not holding my breath to be honest, but we will see.
    jds_1981 wrote:
    Can't you get the drivers address via the mib as you been in an incident with them?
    http://www.mib.org.uk/Motor+Insurance+D ... efault.htm

Thing is I don't need to claim for anything as there was no damage/injuries.
    Mikey23 wrote:

Nah I am fine, not after any compo just hope the police do something about it to stop it happening to someone else.
  • edds
    edds Posts: 156
    Sadly it is not as rare as you would hope. There are a number of reported incidents on road.cc, two of the most recent which have resulted in arrests: http://road.cc/content/news/90092-arres ... estershire
    http://road.cc/content/news/81217-polic ... clist-bike
    edd
    --
    FCN 4-5; Giant SRC 3; formally known as edduddiee
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    Pity he did not drive past a speed camera at 67mph. Then the courts would have been all over him and v quick to hand out a fine. Sadly thats the world we live in.

One of the reported incidents in the links above happened in April, I wonder what the outcome was?

I'm glad you are ok though.
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • MacLeod113 wrote:
    they driver won't name the passenger and even with witnesses i doubt anything will happen.

It doesn't matter if the driver names the passenger - the driver participated in the assault and is guilty, at least, of dangerous driving. If police won't take action contact the Police and Crime Commissioner asking why police spend hours investigating rudeness on Twitter but don't act on a witnessed physical assault. Talk about going to the local press - cyclist v motorist stories are very fashionable at the minute. Don't rely on Karma BS - that's what lets the little gits get away with it
  • NITR8s
    NITR8s Posts: 688
    I would tell the police you would like to report it as assault, (assault is an intentional act by one person that creates an apprehension in another of an imminent harmful or offensive contact).

While there was no harm done, I bet your heart was racing.
  • Well, sadly, I doubt they'll do anything. I posted an incident on here a few weeks ago where me and a mate got attacked by two blokes in a van, one of the scummers lobbed a coin at my mate as they went past, and the other fired a big lump of stone with a catapult at me and it smashed the jockey wheel clean in half on my rear mech. Luckily it missed me, cos it might have stung a bit!!

As noone got hurt the police won't pursue it any further, even though we gave them the reg of their van and they are already known to the police for other incidents!!

As I said on that other thread, it seems as though someone has to get seriously hurt (or racially abused, but lets not go there) before they'll do anything!!

Sad world we live in!!
    Scott CR1 Pro (Build in progress!!)
    Giant Defy 3
  • dai_t75
    Heard back from the police tonight. He sounded pretty disinterested to be honest so you lads may be right about them not doing much about it.

He said he will check up with the witness first and go from there - surely the car owner should be the first call?
  • Mikey23
    If scroat denies it then he will have to adjourn and go speak to the witness. He will also be testing the quality of the witness and the evidence that they can produce. Standard procedure I would have thought...
  • pipipi
    pipipi Posts: 332
    Good luck with pursuing it legally.

Personally I would be asking close friends to keep an eye out for vehicle with the reg plate. If you can find out where the driver lives I would suggest letting the tyres down at 4am.
  • Mikey23
    Always tempting but best not to come down to their Neanderthal level
  • Some people are just out to watch the world burn, no matter what guise that takes. It's a shame really.

Glad to hear you kept everything upright and didn't have any damage come from the scrotes.
  • Don't let his tyres down you will get into trouble for criminal damage.

Seems that the local plod isn't interested in assault so get revenge by finding him assaulting him back - HARD cowardly little shite
  • dwanes
    dwanes Posts: 954
    Expanding foam up his exhaust?
  • pipipi
    pipipi Posts: 332
    I'm not sure if I would ever do any of these revenge attacks, but I think it makes me feel a bit better.

I wouldn't want to spend months plotting it in extreme detail.probably bad for the soul.
  • dai_t75
    Just a quick update for anyone interested:

So I went to the station yesterday to make a statement. It turns out the car is a leased car. The old bill haven't spoken to the driver yet but he was confident he would get hold of him this week. The officer sounded more on my side in person which gave me a bit of hope. He was saying the driver will get in a bit of trouble for the way he was driving even if he doesn't give up the passengers details - guess this is helped by the independent witness.

It was interesting as he was typing my statement he was quite keen on writing that I was 'tucked well into the left of the road'. I think the idea was to make it clear any vehicle could have easily passed me, but I had the feeling it is where he thought I should be. Didn't think it was a good time to get into a debate about secondary/primary position though :P I was in secondary position at the time.

Went for ride today and even though I didn't have any injuries from the incident I was quite nervous when cars were passing. Hopefully that will pass with time.
  • Mikey23
    its good that its being taken seriously. now i think its a question of letting go and getting on with your life. when i had my road rage incident i was very aware that i live in a small rural area and so does vigilante man so was very nervous of going out again on the same route. in fact he did drive past me a couple of times. i smiled and waved but didnt get a response... now im over it!
  • dai_t75 wrote:
    It was interesting as he was typing my statement he was quite keen on writing that I was 'tucked well into the left of the road'. I think the idea was to make it clear any vehicle could have easily passed me, but I had the feeling it is where he thought I should be.

He probably also knows statistically that a person least likely to be knocked off their bicycle is a policeman in uniform.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    When i gave a witness statement, i also remember them choosing the wording carefully. I'm not saying they put words in my mouth, but they know what to write to give the case some legs i think.

effing paperwork plod. They seem to be a crime data collection unit now rather than actually fighting it.
  • cattytown
    cattytown Posts: 647
    Hope this works out. A leased car is quite possibly a company car, which could add extra interest for the driver as the approach by the police will be via his employers. Some lease co/employer combinations can be punitive of their drivers. I know where I work if you pick up a parking ticket and don't pay promptly so they go via the lease company they add an admin charge to the fine as well.

In terms of seeing someone leaning out, I'd be tempted to try to grab a good hold of them. Wouldn't actually be a good idea, mind!

Paul.
    Giant Defy 2
    Large bloke getting smaller :-)
  • dai_t75
    So the plod have finally spoken to the driver. Apparently he said something along the lines of "I think I was in the area at the time" and that the passenger was drunk mate, but he doesn't remember driving near a cyclist (how surprising). He has given the passenger's name to the plod so they are going to speak to him now.

It doesn't sound likely to go any further tbh. The independent witness can't identify the passenger or driver so it's my word against theirs really.

I haven't dwelt on the incident as I was lucky not to have any injuries and guess I will just have to let it go now. Will just make sure that if it happens again I will grab the fecker :evil: