Sold wrong size bike

mog1404
mog1404 Posts: 60
edited September 2013 in Road general
Got a bike a year ago ordered a 53cm frame as I tried a 55cm and it was to big, went for a bike fit today and they told me my bike was to small and should of had the next size up,when I told them I tried the 55cm and it felt to big so went for a 53 he told me that would be bang on size but the shop have given me a 50cm.sneaky feckers even put a 53 sticker of another bike on it.does anyone know if I could still get my cash back or a new bike or am I stuck with it

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    What bike is it? The measurements should be easy to compare.
  • Bianchi via nirone
  • nweststeyn
    nweststeyn Posts: 1,574
    have you measured all the tubes to absolutely confirm that it's a 50, and compared to Bianchis geometry specs? Do you have a receipt saying its a 53cm? etc. etc.

Good luck with this, but you might be hard pushed if the shop digs their heels in as it's been a year.
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    how do you know its a 50? have you found the original sticker under the 53?

i know my cube is a size 60 but not a single measurement on it is 60 according to their geometry!! So maybe it is a 50 but they just come up small?
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • Post removed
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Welsh bastids

Saes haliwr.
  • Post removed

Saes haliwr.

Blimey :shock:
    That's a bit strong :lol:
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Are you saying that a bike shop sold you an undersized bike and misrepresented by putting an incorrect sizing sticker on it? Sounds like a job for trading standards to me ...
  • pnev
    pnev Posts: 236
    I didn't know halfords sold bianchi's.... It couldn't possibly be a beloved LBS that did that
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    please name and shame ...
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    I think the seat tube on a 53 measures 50 bb to top of tube, try and look at the geometry on their web site.
  • Will have to give the bike a good measure and check the geometry on the web site as the bike has always felt ok to me,just had a bit of knee and back pain last few weeks and was told to go see a local boy who knows his stuff and will help with bike fit. Will try and post pics of me on bike see what you all think of the fit.
  • As diamonddog has said and I've just confirmed by measuring mine. The 53 via nirones measures up at 50 because the compact frame is measured using a horrizontal line from the headtube, not just to the seat tube junction.
  • nweststeyn
    nweststeyn Posts: 1,574
    well there you go...
  • mog1404 wrote:
    Will have to give the bike a good measure and check the geometry on the web site as the bike has always felt ok to me,just had a bit of knee and back pain last few weeks and was told to go see a local boy who knows his stuff and will help with bike fit. Will try and post pics of me on bike see what you all think of the fit.

If you generally feel good on it then it's probably about the right size. Knee pain could come down to cleat position and lower back pain could be saddle height - both easy to twiddle with.
  • Mikey23 wrote:
    Are you saying that a bike shop sold you an undersized bike and misrepresented by putting an incorrect sizing sticker on it? Sounds like a job for trading standards to me ...

Can you imagine the liability they would have if he had an accident because of this?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    Why don't all bike manufactures sell bikes by the horizontal TT measurement, it'd solve a lot problems.
  • kwi
    kwi Posts: 181
    Because 'effective' TT measurements give some sort of standard, 2 bikes with the same length TT but wildly different geometries will fit differently.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Back pain could have nowt to do with bike fit and everything to do with core strength and stability... Magnus backstedt spoke at length about this during the TOB
  • elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    Post Removed
    Same insult in two separate posts.What the hell is wrong with you?
    ADHD? :(
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • adamfo
    adamfo Posts: 763
    Balaclavas wrote:
    As diamonddog has said and I've just confirmed by measuring mine. The 53 via nirones measures up at 50 because the compact frame is measured using a horrizontal line from the headtube, not just to the seat tube junction.

The geo chart says the horizontal TT length is 53.5 cm for a size 53 and seat tube 50 as you say.

http://www.bianchi.com/uk/bikes/bikes_d ... ster=74654

Sounds like the OP is a dud tape measure operative.
  • Made same mistake as OP, bought a "cheap as chips" 52cm Langster (nominally required a 54 but thought I could live with it) only to find post-purchase that the compact frame measurement was measured horizontally from the head-tube :shock: probably needed a 56/58 frame in reality.

So too small for me really and had to buy riser and an extended/adjustable stem to help the fit Grrrr. Lesson learned though.
  • elderone wrote:
    Post Removed

He has form for it elderone that's why I didn't let it go this time, he has made similar remarks on The Cake Stop board. Obviously has a problem with Welsh people.
  • adamfo
    adamfo Posts: 763
    elderone wrote:
    Post Removed

He has form for it elderone that's why I didn't let it go this time, he has made similar remarks on The Cake Stop board. Obviously has a problem with Welsh people.

Maybe he believes Welsh tape measures are only used on leeks and sheep's anuses :shock: ?
  • adamfo wrote:
    elderone wrote:
    Post Removed

Maybe he believes Welsh tape measures are only used on leeks and sheep's anuses :shock: ?

It is rather amusing this notion that Welsh people have sexual interaction with sheep, as yet it is unproven, however this English chap certainly does with goats:

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/commuter ... 29803.html

You really should cover all bases before posting.