Forum home Commuter cycling forum Commuting general

Smelly footwear

oxomanoxoman Posts: 8,333
edited September 2013 in Commuting general
I am currently commuting to work and using a pair of MTB shoes with spd's as i can walk in them as well, having got soaked a couple of times recently they have started to smell as if a cat has pee'd on them. I have dried them and also washed them as they smell that bad but still no good, any ideas. And no my feet don't smell. Currently looking at getting another pair so i have a wear and spare when they get wet. Anybody else suffering this issue and how do they deal with it.
Too many bikes according to Mrs O.

• oxoman wrote:
    I am currently commuting to work and using a pair of MTB shoes with spd's as i can walk in them as well, having got soaked a couple of times recently they have started to smell as if a cat has pee'd on them. I have dried them and also washed them as they smell that bad but still no good, any ideas. And no my feet don't smell. Currently looking at getting another pair so i have a wear and spare when they get wet. Anybody else suffering this issue and how do they deal with it.
    First stop your cat peeing in them :wink:

Seriously try washing them in the washing machine (assuming they are not leather) and adding some oxy powder stuff like Vanish to the wash (I use the cheap brand stuff from Tesco, its all the same really), this really works to kill smells in all my lycra gear as well as my cycle shoes. You could also try wearing shoe covers to keep the damp out in the first place.
  • Get a dog to pee in them, it should cancel the cat pee smell out.
  • Bicarbonate of soda makes a good deodoriser, just sprinkle a bit in each shoe
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • This is not a joke and it WILL work.

Fill your shoes with Cat Litter and it will do 2 things

1) It will help your shoes to dry quicker
    2) It will absorb the smell

If you have an old pair of smelly trainers try leaving cat litter in them overnight and be prepared for a miracle.

NP
  • After getting advice on here about a similar problem with towels I soaked mine in a solution of Milton's Fluid. Washed them in the machine and now store them with a charcoal briquette in each one. Also heard that kitty litter has the same effect as the briquettes but didn't have any to hand.

When I get to work, if the shoes are wet I stuff them with newspaper and leave them on top of my locker until lunch time. Then I take out the soggy newspaper and put them near a vent to air dry. If they're dry when I get to work they get a squirt of trainer tamer and go in the locker.

No more stinking cycling shoes.