Kendal...

Comments

• afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Here's the culinary interest.

293.jpg
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Kendal (1883-1908) was an English Thoroughbred racehorse. He was trained at Kingsclere by John Porter for the 1st Duke of Westminster. He was a leading two-year-old, but retired due to injury. He later became a successful stallion and was Champion sire in 1897.

Here you are ride on time...
  • Paul 8v
    And let's not forget:

Carlisle is situated on the flood plain of the River Eden with three rivers meeting in the city. The catchment covers approximately 2400km2 and is home to approximately 244,000 people. The catchment is mainly rural, with only 1% classified as urban: the main urban areas are Carlisle, Penrith and Appleby.

Carlisle has a history of flooding with flood events recorded as far back as the 1700s. In recent years there have been significant floods in 1963, 1968, 1979, 1980, 1984, and recently in 2005.

Across the catchment, the January 2005 flooding affected 2,700 homes. In Carlisle three people died, 1,844 properties were flooded and there was significant disruption to residents, businesses and visitors. The cost of the flooding was estimated at over £400 million. The flooding followed prolonged heavy rain, and was caused by a combination of floodwater from the Rivers Eden, Pettereril and Caldew and localised flooding from sewers and road drainage.
  • Paul 8v
    And let's not forget:

Carlisle is situated on the flood plain of the River Eden with three rivers meeting in the city. The catchment covers approximately 2400km2 and is home to approximately 244,000 people. The catchment is mainly rural, with only 1% classified as urban: the main urban areas are Carlisle, Penrith and Appleby.

Carlisle has a history of flooding with flood events recorded as far back as the 1700s. In recent years there have been significant floods in 1963, 1968, 1979, 1980, 1984, and recently in 2005.

Across the catchment, the January 2005 flooding affected 2,700 homes. In Carlisle three people died, 1,844 properties were flooded and there was significant disruption to residents, businesses and visitors. The cost of the flooding was estimated at over £400 million. The flooding followed prolonged heavy rain, and was caused by a combination of floodwater from the Rivers Eden, Pettereril and Caldew and localised flooding from sewers and road drainage.
  • Kendal is also famous as the home of the Kendal Pencil Museum, where you can "Journey through the history of pencils and pencil making".

On the cuisine side we shouldn't forget Cumberland sausage and a vast array of good beers.

Cumberland-Sausage.jpg

4803621555_7d618034e5_z.jpg

Fore those interested in culture, they count funny. So if we're lucky we could hear commentary of a bumfit man break.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yan_Tan_Tethera
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • As for geology, there's lots of it and it's a mixed bag.
  • alan_a
    alan_a Posts: 1,550
    Carlisle: the 2nd shi ttest place to change buses in UK after Preston. Worst night life, coldest rail station, most over zealous traffic police I could go on and on, however I had better get started on Maryport...

Maryport: it has a brilliant Jazz and Blues festival thanks to the extra digit evolution has given each inhabitant for playing the banjo. If you want to turn your wife into your ex wife who is an alcoholic who fights in the street send her to Maryport.

Workington: The most racist town in England.

Whitehaven: See Workington but with slightly higher house prices.

Is that the whole of North Cumbria offended? Good, worst 18 months of my life living there.
  • ^ :D

Weather in south Cumbria this morning is better than yesterday so at least the bus to Kendal wont end up in a wood on the way up there
  • Sorry to introduce a bit of cycling related news to the thread. Bookies odds for the stage make interesting reading:
    Top 10 odds
    Simon Yates - 11/2
    Visconti - 11/2
    Viviani - 9/1
    Modolo - 12/1
    Ciolek - 12/1
    Rojas - 18/1
    Cav - 22/1
    Quintana - 22/1
    Stannard - 22/1
    Elmiger - 25/1

Skinny climber, classics rider or sprinter?
  • OK I am back from house moving/work/weddings exile.

I am trying to catch up with what has happened these last few weeks. Apparently Mr Burns won the Vuelta :shock:

But enough of that have a story about a cow stuck in a tree in Cumbria:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/agriculture/farming/9507787/Cow-stuck-in-a-tree-in-dramatic-rescue-by-Cumbria-firemen.html
    Correlation is not causation.
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    Kendal is also famous as the home of the Kendal Pencil Museum, where you can "Journey through the history of pencils and pencil making".
    I thought the pencil museum was at Keswick. Are there two?
    Alan A wrote:
    Workington: The most racist town in England.
    Workington is where in a chippy I once bought a black pudding in batter, only to find they hadn’t removed the plastic covering around the black pudding before dipping it in batter and frying it. What a mess I then had!
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    Doping for today’s stage:
    Kendal Black Drop, a highly addictive concoction of opium, vinegar, spices and sugar, retailing (in 1800) for a few shillings a phial.
    Doper Sammy Coleridge once described its effects on an associate of his: “He went like one that hath been stunned, And is of sense forlorn”.
    Might help on the Honister, though.
  • "It was a happy ending to a very stressful afternoon," said his mother, Sandra.

Surely a talking cow has to be the real story here?
  • You're right, the pencil museum is in Keswick. I was sure it was in Kendal. :-/
  • Sorry to introduce a bit of cycling related news to the thread. Bookies odds for the stage make interesting reading:
    Top 10 odds
    Simon Yates - 11/2
    Visconti - 11/2
    Viviani - 9/1
    Modolo - 12/1
    Ciolek - 12/1
    Rojas - 18/1
    Cav - 22/1
    Quintana - 22/1
    Stannard - 22/1
    Elmiger - 25/1

Skinny climber, classics rider or sprinter?

Jeez, the Yates lad's mum has whacked the Christmas money on the bookies.

The sprinters and Honister Pass? Ummmmm.....
  • Do the teams have the rigs & bikes on show at the finish like at the stage start town?
  • MrTapir
    MrTapir Posts: 1,206
    Kendal also has a working snuff mill that is exactly as it was in the 1700s and still produces snuff in the same way.
  • alan_a
    Neale1978 wrote:
    Do the teams have the rigs & bikes on show at the finish like at the stage start town?

The buses etc were all barrier off yesterday. Very disappointing.
  • alan_a
    Alan A wrote:
    Neale1978 wrote:
    Do the teams have the rigs & bikes on show at the finish like at the stage start town?

Edit: with the exception of the Madison bus which was in the naughty corner.
  • Alan A wrote:
    Alan A wrote:
    Neale1978 wrote:

Edit: with the exception of the Madison bus which was in the naughty corner.

That must have only been at a specific time as you were able to walk around about an hour before the riders arrived and also during the presentation.

The Madison bus crashed into a ditch and got stuck about 10 miles from Drumlanrig so was behind the rest of the convoy
  • Adam Yates (GB squad) is a DNS, which is disappointing :(
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    Sorry - on holiday...derm...i mean ver for an interview at the moment

Have a look at this - http://www.lakedistrict.gov.uk/__data/a ... eology.pdf
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Right, TV started, hopefully just in time for Honister.
  • alan_a
    Pointless having HD with all that rain on the camera lens.

Glad I am at home with the heating on and not stuck half way up a Lakeland minor road.
  • Breakaway ahead by about tethera minutes.
  • If I was a pro I would not come to this race. Big risk of crashing on these narrow, potholed roads. And what with the weather, big risk of getting a cold/infection etc to hamper you in the Worlds.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Break of lethera are tethera bumfit ahead.
  • If I was a pro I would not come to this race. Big risk of crashing on these narrow, potholed roads. And what with the weather, big risk of getting a cold/infection etc to hamper you in the Worlds.

Heavyweight.

If you were a pro you'd race wherever your team told you to.
  • Visconti out with suspected broken leg. A shame for him and for the race.