San Francisco cycling

stueys
stueys Posts: 1,332
edited October 2013 in Road general
I've the mixed joys of a week in San Francisco next week for work. As I'm keen not to drop a weeks training I'm going to rent a road bike and try to get out a couple of times. Having a hunt online most of the bike routes seem to be tourist scenaric stuff or mtb, does anyone have any good climbing routes I can try?

Comments

• I did hire a bike once... I would recommend a MTB, head north over the Golden Gate (which has a cycling lane) and into Muir Woods... it's great out there... you can get a map of the area from the rental place and plan a good loop. You can also get the ferry back from Sausalito, which skirts Alcatraz... on your way back don't forget to bag some of the classic roads in central San Francisco, which have 1 in 3 gradients
    left the forum March 2023
  • Exactly as above its stunning
  • I hired a bike and rode the Golden Gate Bridge a few years back. Great city to ride in.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • If you head east a bit out to the Walnut Creek area there is fantastic cycling, the most notable climb being this...,

http://www.strava.com/segments/mt-diabl ... -to-254731

Heading out there in a couple of weeks but going south to San Jose way where this is

http://www.strava.com/segments/mt-hamil ... ate-340903
  • When I was there I went across the bridge, through Sausalito to Mill Valley, up Mount Tam and back again. Awesome day out on a bike.

http://www.strava.com/activities/2193410
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,467
    When I was there I went across the bridge, through Sausalito to Mill Valley, up Mount Tam and back again. Awesome day out on a bike.

http://www.strava.com/activities/2193410
    +1!

Mt. Tam is a great road climb and it's brilliant to be able to combine it with cycling across the Golden gate Bridge. You get a spectacular view of San Francisco in the distance from the top on a clear day too. You'll probably get slightly lost in Mill Valley trying to find the route up to the Mt. Tam road, but just ask another cyclist, everyone is mega-friendly.

As above, Mt. Diablo is also an amazing climb, better than Mt. Tam in that it is continuous for about 10 miles, like a true alpine climb. If you are feeling very energetic you could cycle there and back from Oakland or Berkeley, but you have to go over a lot of hills to get there and it would be a big day out. The easy option is just to catch the BART to Walnut Creek, you are allowed to take bikes on it.
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,467
    P.S. If you can do Mt. Diablo in an hour by the south gate route, you will have a good chance of being able to to Alpe d'Huez in an hour. Diablo is not as steep, but it's longer, and both require about the same sustained power/weight ratio to do in one hour.
  • stueys
    Excellent, thanks all. Some great ideas there, Mount Tam and Diablo especially look like a good outing. Off to plot something in connect (and move my diary around to create a bigger cycling space next week :D )
  • stueys
    Wanted to report back after the help. Found a great route that took me across golden gate, up to the top of Mount Tam, around to the coastal views overlooking Bolinas and then descended down to Mt Tam watershed and the dam there. Looped back to Fairfax and then back to the city. About 56 miles in all and fairly lumpy getting up and across to the watershed.

22 degrees, bright sunshine, quiet mountain roads, bay and pacific coast views, it definitely beat working for the morning :D
  • Want to share the strava activity? Headed over there in a few weeks.
  • stueys
    motd2k wrote:
    Want to share the strava activity? Headed over there in a few weeks.

Do you have a garmin? I'll send you a course.
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    Im there next week and heading upto Calistoga and Napa if you fancy tagging along ?
    Living MY dream.
  • I'm over the on the 26th October, so about 4 weeks from now. Will be taking the Garmin so routes would be fantastic :)
  • stueys
    motd2k wrote:
    Want to share the strava activity? Headed over there in a few weeks.

Garmin route for you - http://connect.garmin.com/course/4814281

I would do the Alpine Dam loop the other way around than I did it, just reverse the loop. You get a slightly shorter climb up but the upside is that you get nicer roads to descend on and the 'bombed' stuff on the way up. Everyone I passed was going that way around which is another good indication :wink:

Enjoy, it was a great ride.
  • RiderUk
    RiderUk Posts: 71
    Currently in San Francisco on a weeks holiday and just got back from cycling over Golden Gate Bridge.
    Certainly I will never forget the epic views and experience of this iconic land mark, plenty of cycle tracks within the city and very cycling friendly.
  • While you are there, be sure to check out Roaring Mouse cycle store, they run a road race team and their kit is fantastic. My wife's jersey always attracts comment. They are on the flat bit near the bridge, on the city side. Now there's good directions for you.
  • RiderUk
    RiderUk Posts: 71
    Lumpy Roads - Thanks for that,it's now on the list of places / shops to visit. Have already been to American Cyclery and Rapha.