Obree back in the record books

tailwindhome
tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
edited September 2013 in Pro race
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-g ... t-24088647

Some performance for a man his age :wink: :roll: :lol:
“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!

Comments

• I've been impressed with his humility. Lots of talk about setting the overall record before he left, when he gets there he realises it isn't realistic and he's still got a lot to learn.

I think he was so used to being the weird convention breaking outsider he may not have realised that in HPV there isn't really anything conventional, it's all up for being challenged, everyone is open to new ideas - and freely exchange them - and there's no UCI setting rules about how long your cranks are or what angle you can have your saddle at. He certainly sounded like it had been a wonderful revelation to him.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Shame he didn't get the overall record but there are some big money entries by the sound of it. It's nice to see him doing something he enjoys like no ta doctor says. I'm glad he got there this year, I think last year he didn't manage to get there at all did he?
  • Paul 8v wrote:
    Shame he didn't get the overall record but there are some big money entries by the sound of it. It's nice to see him doing something he enjoys like no ta doctor says. I'm glad he got there this year, I think last year he didn't manage to get there at all did he?

I think the "big money" "computer designed" stuff got a bit overblown to be honest. It's still basically blokes like Graeme building stuff in their sheds. Some of them have some resources, some of them are university projects, but it's still your basic happy amateurs at heart. I think he rocked up expecting it to be like that and was pleasantly surprised.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • Have really enjoyed following the progress of this attempt, glad he's got a record from it. This tweet from him the other day sums it up perfectly for me, a genuine inspiration:

"The fear isn't not reaching 100mph, the fear is being 90, in a chair in an old folks’ home, saying ‘I should have gone for that.' "
  • term1te
    term1te Posts: 1,462
    Good on him, I hope someone was following to make a documentary about this achievement. One of my favourite pieces of TV was the documentary following the Thrust SSC a few years back. The mixture of eccentricity, engineering and a record attempt makes compelling TV.

In the video on the BBC news item, did he say he was pushing a 320 inch gear!?
  • Paul 8v
    Term1te, if you liked that then check out "speed dreams"
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01pvbdv
    Great programme, was on at the start of the year
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6T3v_mxKKpU

Little bit of video there, not of the run, but show's how much fun it must've been to get out of the thing :)
  • Paul 8v
    Commentary reminded me of that fast show sketch but with 'Graeme Obree' rather than 'Chris Waddle'
  • mfin
    Racist.
  • mfin
    (only joking :) )
  • I'm sure Obree is in good condition but he's been out of competitive cycling for some time. I wonder whether recruiting a younger rider would have enabled his creation to pass the 60mph barrier?
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition