mavic 10 speed hub to 11 speed

Welshroadrider
Welshroadrider Posts: 67
edited June 2014 in Workshop
hi quick question do you think its possible to change the Shimano/SRAM M10 freehub on my mavic ksyrium sl 2009 wheels for a 11speed mavic freehub?

is that even possible? thanks
Scott Addict SL
Scott speedster S10

Comments

• Converting from 10 to 11 is possible. There are a few articles online that demonstrate the work required to do this. IIRC - the 11-speed is 1.8mm wider than 10-speed. In the article I read online (weightweenies), the chap removed the spacer behind the cassette and then had to ream the lugs on the base of the freehub where the spacer sits, as well as ream out some of his Dura Ace hub. This enables the cassette to sit further onto the hub and enables you to locate the locking ring so it engages on the threads inside the freehub.

I also read somewhere that Mavic freehubs are already wide enough to accommodate 11-speed. Measure the freehub and measure the width of the 11-speed cassette to see if it's doable.

I've just measured the freehub on my Aksium Race and it's 38.5mm, to the lugs. Sheldon Brown reckons a campag 11-speed cassette is 40.1mm (I can't find any info on the Shimano/SRAM cassette dimensions)

Let us know how you get on as I'm sure there are a fair few people interested in this - including me!
  • Mavi freehubs have a 3mm spacer on them. So remove that and fit a 1.2mm spacer which is hard to find yoy might have to get one made.

The last sprocket or two on a campag 11 speed cassette is dished making the total cassette width 40.1mm but the freehub body length is something like 37mm. It is possible a 1.5mm spacer on your mavic freehub will be enough to allow a 11 speed shimano cassette to fit just or better fit two 0.7mm spacers. 1.5mm spacers are easy to find I have many. 0.7mm spacers are abit harder.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • thanks for the reply's guys

yep i have heard by removing the spacer it should be compatible but what as giving me doubts was if it was only a matter of removing a spacer and fitting another one instead why would mavic bring out a new freehub?
    Scott Addict SL
    Scott speedster S10
  • Deraileur clearance maybe an issue. The new freehub will come with new end caps no doubt increasing the OLD to 131mm.
  • mrdsgs
    mrdsgs Posts: 337
    or.... just replace the mavic shimano freehub body with a campag one (9/10/11) and fit an fit an 11 speed campag cassette, usually with either no spacers or one thin 1mm one if spoke clearance is an issue. It will just work!

11 speed campag and shimano cassettes have identical spacing.
    Colnago Addict!
  • Mavic have brought out a new updated M11 freehub because they are moving over from 8mm to 9mm diameter axles. This is the only difference.
    An old M10 freehub will run 11spd shimano, by simply removing the Mavic 1.75mm spacer.
    This spacer is only there because Mavic wheels are designed to work with either Campag or Shimano freehubs, as in the old days, when 9 speed was introduced Campag freehub bodies were longer hence the need for a 1.75mm spacer on Mavic/Shimano freehubs.
  • hi quick question do you think its possible to change the Shimano/SRAM M10 freehub on my mavic ksyrium sl 2009 wheels for a 11speed mavic freehub?

The only difference between the Mavic M10 and M11 freehub is the name. Essentially they are the same component, only the name was updated when Shimano released 11 speed (to indicate 11 speed compatibility).

This means you can fit an 11 speed Shimano cassette to the M10 freehub, just remove all spacers before fitting the cassette.

I've attached a handy chart that may come in as a useful reference for similar questions regarding compatibility in the future.

Ride safe,

Mike
    Mavic Community Manager
    Mavic Community Manager
  • ^^Very useful reference. You should really include the attribution though:

59848-largest_Cassette_chart_3.jpg
  • thanks fantastic ,, goto save and print that.

thanks
    Scott Addict SL
    Scott speedster S10
  • Well I was wrong then. Take it all back. Thank mike for chipping in and clearing that up.
  • ^^Very useful reference. You should really include the attribution though:

Thanks! I was sent the other image a while back. Let me update my copy including the attribution. That makes sense to me!
    Mavic Community Manager
  • Mike Cotty wrote:
    hi quick question do you think its possible to change the Shimano/SRAM M10 freehub on my mavic ksyrium sl 2009 wheels for a 11speed mavic freehub?

The only difference between the Mavic M10 and M11 freehub is the name. Essentially they are the same component, only the name was updated when Shimano released 11 speed (to indicate 11 speed compatibility).

This means you can fit an 11 speed Shimano cassette to the M10 freehub, just remove all spacers before fitting the cassette.

I've attached a handy chart that may come in as a useful reference for similar questions regarding compatibility in the future.

Ride safe,

Mike
    Mavic Community Manager

Hi where are these spacers? i have some krysums and cant find the spacers!
    mjg