Colnago C59 set up: too much seatpost showing?

nobrakes71
nobrakes71 Posts: 52
edited September 2013 in Road general
folks, more of a aesthetic question than proper fitting:

Have this Colnago C59 52s set up to my seat height (80cm bb - top of saddle). 52s would be my size.

I'm wondering if it's too much seat post showing. The other alternative for me would be to go for a 56 traditional, which will have less seatpost.

Would like to hear your thoughts

[img][/img]

Comments

• tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    Difficult to tell from that shot. too much light in the back ground would be better judge against a solid background.

The seat post itself looks okay and obviously you ve got the minimum insertion as a guide, The drop to the bars does looks a bit severe and the bars look rotated forward.

Why are you so sure you need a 52S are you taking the current 80cm bb to saddle from a bike fit or existing bike?

I would hope if spending that much money on a bike/ frame you could get a decent fit thrown in.

My personal preference would be to run more post so I could have the adjustability. What's the top tube length are you running a monster stem on a 52.
  • Apologies, noticed a type on my original post.

Saddle height (bb- top of saddle) is 86cm (not 80).

This will give a drop to bars (top of saddle - top of bar) of about 8.5cm (with 1cm spacer).

I did a test ride on a 52s and 54s, the 52s felt better - but as I said, it's more of an aesthetics questions as I could also consider a 56 traditional.
  • dwanes
    dwanes Posts: 954
    looks fine from an aesthetics point of view.
    Its whether your back can cope!
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    Looks more pro init.
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • I currently have the same drop on my Bianchi (8.5 cm) so should be ok.

But I take your point, a 54s would allow less drop, more confortable maybe, but the 52 felt more agile, faster, when I did the test ride on both. But it might be just in my head....
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,317
    You'll have to consider whether or not you want a:

Competitive fit
    'Eddy' fit or
    French fit.

Depending on whether you're going to Race, audax or sportive. F**k the look of it, its whether you will be comfortable on it doing what you want to do on it. Its a Colnago, it looks A1 at any angle ffs.

PS Is this pie in the sky dreamland ? If you buy it and you don't like it, just send it to me.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Correction:seat post height is 76cm not 86cm. Fat finger syndrome ;-)
  • Seat height looks ok but as previously mentioned the seat / bar drop might be a bit extreme. The bars look terrible the way they are which may be an indication that the bike is set up wrong for you.
  • thanks for the comments - just to be clear, it's not my bike, just a display bike on a store. I only adjusted the seat height to 76cm (my measurement), everything else hasn't been adjusted so not concerned about bar angle, etc.

drop (top of seat - top of bar) will be 8.5 cm (with 1 cm of spacer), so not extreme IMO
  • Don't see anything wrong with that amount of seatpost showing, as mentioned above though, sort out the reach and that will probably steer you to the right frame size.
    Music, beer, sport, repeat...
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    That's not an extreme saddle to bar drop, this is....

ie79.jpg

:wink:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn