Basso Laguna internal cable rattle

dubbs2009
dubbs2009 Posts: 310
edited September 2014 in Workshop
Hi guys,

I have a 2 month old Basso Laguna and now have a very noticeable internal cable rattle - at least that's what I think is causing the rattle - flipping bike upside down does not make the noise I would expect something trapped in the downtube to make as it moved - all bolts are tight - most be internal cabling / some plastic bit somewhere....

Anyone had similar? Any fix ideas?

Its driving me mad... makes the Italian beast sound very cheap.... want to get it sorted!

It makes the noise when you bounce the bike and sounds like its coming from the downtube - not wheels or cranks/pedals - defo something within the frame...

Comments

• Found the issue - the cable running down down tube on right hand side - think front mech is rattling... took the steerer out today and when I press on the plastic tubing holding the cable it stops rattling... take my finger off... rattles... Any ideas on a cute fix?
  • matt-h
    matt-h Posts: 847
    How about some silicone o-rings?
    Half a dozen down the length of the cable?

Matt
  • matt-h wrote:
    How about some silicone o-rings?
    Half a dozen down the length of the cable?

Matt

Might work - was kinda hoping not to have to mess about with the wires though... e.g. don't fancy my chances of rethreading if I take it out!
  • matt-h
    matt-h Posts: 847
    Good point.
    Suppose it needs guarantee to work to make the hassle worthwhile

Matt
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    If it rattles all the time, ie, not when in highest cog or smallest ring, then it's rattling under tension rather than when it's a little loose. If it was the other, just sorting out the slack tension may sort it out.

If pushing the housing a little sorts it out (provided you're not deflecting it too much to effect the shifting), why not try to do that permanently? Get some kind of light but dense foam material (something like polystyrene but what won't break up over time), cut it to fit the tube, and insert it to hold the housing where you need it. Also try to cut it to a shape so that it won't disappear off down the tube where it can't be reached :)
  • g00se wrote:
    If it rattles all the time, ie, not when in highest cog or smallest ring, then it's rattling under tension rather than when it's a little loose. If it was the other, just sorting out the slack tension may sort it out.

If pushing the housing a little sorts it out (provided you're not deflecting it too much to effect the shifting), why not try to do that permanently? Get some kind of light but dense foam material (something like polystyrene but what won't break up over time), cut it to fit the tube, and insert it to hold the housing where you need it. Also try to cut it to a shape so that it won't disappear off down the tube where it can't be reached :)

It rattles all the time :) I think I might try and find some split rubber ring washers and add some of them to the internal routing housing and see it it helps!
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    Nice bike by the way, was planning on getting one until I got my Kyklos.
  • g00se wrote:
    Nice bike by the way, was planning on getting one until I got my Kyklos.

Cheers :)