Local Keswick knowledge

bianchimoon
bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
edited September 2013 in Road general
Have posted in tour/exped, but need a quick bit of advice as will be offline

Does anyone know if the old railway track C2C sustrans route that runs parallel with the A66 out of Keswick is suitable for race bike tyres? Haven't got any choice really other than ride on busy A66 so will have to use it, but wondered if it was rough/sharp stones/cinder? cheers in advance for any knowledge.
All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....

Comments

• Used this route in June and if I do it again I will be using the road option. I will try to stay clear of the a66 though, although I did go on it for a short spell to cut out a bit of the route. It all depends on if you want to go on the sustrans route all the way, I cut parts out and made my own route. Are you going Whitehaven to tynemouth?
  • It is a road ride, St bees to Saltburn through the dales just want to keep off the A66 as much as possible, i know there's a cyclepath on parts of that section and this particular bit that uses old railway track.
    Doing St bees to Saltburn through the dales and just wanted to see if that bit is suitable for 700/23's
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • binsted
    binsted Posts: 182
    Did it in April with road bike and 25mm tyres. No problems in fact surface was probably better than Hampshire roads !!
  • ahh, that's good news - ta!
  • We had bad weather and the track was battered with bits of gravel poking through, couldn't average more than 10mph over it. I won't use it again but others probably had a better experience than me.
  • k3vinjam3s wrote:
    We had bad weather and the track was battered with bits of gravel poking through, couldn't average more than 10mph over it. I won't use it again but others probably had a better experience than me.

was that recent K3vin?
  • Mikey41
    Mikey41 Posts: 690
    You'll get down it OK, but it's gravelly and not smooth, you'll want to walk the bike in a couple of places. You will not be going fast. I saw a few tourers/CX bikes going down it and plenty of hybrids and MTB's. I have seen one road bike going down it though.

I've ridden a road bike over worse than that though.

This is what it's like:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yf-PoO2l-Ng
    Giant Defy 2 (2012)
    Giant Defy Advanced 2 (2013)
    Giant Revel 1 Ltd (2013)
    Strava
  • Hi Bianchi M,
    I made the mistake of riding down that route a month ago, I drew some strange looks from the mountain bikers and walkers on it. I did not enjoy it!
    Just last week I used the cycle path to the south of the A66, it leaves Keswick and goes up past Castlerigg Stone Circle, and staying south of the A66 for about 5 miles I think, before joining with the Cycle path on the north of the 66 after the old rail track. I would investigate and use that route on road wheels.
    Good luck.
    Steve
  • k3vinjam3s wrote:
    We had bad weather and the track was battered with bits of gravel poking through, couldn't average more than 10mph over it. I won't use it again but others probably had a better experience than me.

was that recent K3vin?

End of June. It was the weekend in June where it rained and rained lol.
  • Hi Bianchi M,
    I made the mistake of riding down that route a month ago, I drew some strange looks from the mountain bikers and walkers on it. I did not enjoy it!
    Just last week I used the cycle path to the south of the A66, it leaves Keswick and goes up past Castlerigg Stone Circle, and staying south of the A66 for about 5 miles I think, before joining with the Cycle path on the north of the 66 after the old rail track. I would investigate and use that route on road wheels.
    Good luck.
    Steve
    Interesting thought will take a look on map thanks all for your replies
  • carrock
    carrock Posts: 1,103
    I went on it on my old roubaix with 32 spoke Mavics. I wouldn't go on it on my new s works with fulcrum ones on though. It's a hybrid/ cx type path to be fair
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,002
    ^
    carrock wrote:
    Couldn't read any of that.

When you go to the bike shop, ask them if they have any capital letters out the back you can have.
  • Just last week I used the cycle path to the south of the A66, it leaves Keswick and goes up past Castlerigg Stone Circle, and staying south of the A66 for about 5 miles I think, before joining with the Cycle path on the north of the 66 after the old rail track. I would investigate and use that route on road wheels.
    Good luck.
    Steve
    I'd go with that as well. Another alternative would be to go to the north of the river/A66 under Latrigg and through Brundholme woods to Threlkeld.

The railway is OK if you're going slowly, partly due to the surface (basically compacted gravel) and partly due to how busy it can get. Interestingly, the worst bit of surface is at the old Keswick Railway station. Might be something to do with the metal boxes that pay road tax using that section. :wink:
    I'm off that way this weekend for the Jennings Rivers Ride - the family route heads out to Threlkeld along the old railway, does a short road loop and then back along the railway. I'll be doing it on my road bike as I'm doing a longer route on the roads first and can't fit both my bikes and both daughters' bikes in the car. But speeds will be rather low.
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    I used it last month when I did the C2C in a day (on 23c slick tyres) and it was ok even though it had been raining the night before, wouldn't fancy it if it had been raining for 2 weeks straight though. Its only a very short stretch so if you want to avoid the A66 could always push if it gets too boggy.
  • Update on this route, we had a delay at start as one rider forgot shoes so had to make a detour to cleator bridge, which was fortunate as when we got to Loweswater, team sky jag came past with Wiggo driving, he waved, a couple of miles up the road he was by side of car getting changed ready to recce route to Kendal for day 2 of ToB and took time to have his piccy taken with us. Delays meant we took a chance on railway track, quiet rough in places but saved a bit of time, nice change to the hills. All felt a little bit rattled by the surface but wouldn't discount it to anyone thinking of going that way.