Question about gear.

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited September 2013 in Road general
I currently ride a Carrera TDF bike. I know it's not the best but in terms of the budget I have it does.

The front is 52-39, and a 12-26 on the back. Now with this gearing I manage most hills, but when I get out to things like the crow road I start to struggle. I can still get up it but cannot set a consistent tempo or cadence. I was wondering if switching to a 11-32 cassette or something in the middle would make a huge difference. If so could you recommend somewhere I could get a cheap one, as I am on a tight budget.

THanks

Steven

Comments

• t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    With a road rear derailleur, you won't be abole to go over a 30 largets tooth, and a 28 is really the max recommended but some people get away with a 30.

why an 11-32? you surely don't need an 11 with a 52 chan wheel.

look for a 12-28 in whatever speed your current cassette is -is it 8 speeed 9 speed? - you have to replace like with like.

as for where - use google and get looking you lazy toad :wink:
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    I started on a Carrera virtuoso ltd,which had the same set up as yours.I changed the front to a 50/34 compact and a 11/30 on the back.Made such a difference and not to costly.
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    I started on a Carrera virtuoso ltd,which had the same set up as yours.I changed the front to a 50/34 compact and a 11/30 on the back.Made such a difference and not to costly.
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    If money is tight then you might just want to put in more practice... the Crow Road isn't particularly steep, it's just long. Get your legs more used to putting in 15-20 minutes of solid effort and you'll find it a lot easier with the gears you have. You'd certainly be able to spin your way up the Crow quite happily on a -30 or something but that'd be total overkill both for it and 99% of the hills around it.
  • zx6man
    zx6man Posts: 1,092
    I changed the front chainset to a 2300 compact 50/34 (to match the rest of the set up), still got original 12/26 and its ok for me
  • pirnie
    pirnie Posts: 242
    My friend bought the same bike to get into cycling, but struggled on the hills to start with. Agree with everyone above who suggested switching out the chainset for a 50/34. Made all the difference to him!
  • All I know is that gear is bad for you and it is highly illegal
  • The answer should always be 53 x 11
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    All I know is that gear is bad for you and it is highly illegal

Haha. Post of the day.