Wheels? handbuilt v shimano rs80 c24 v fulcrum racing 3

13»

Comments

• patrickf wrote:
    I'll chime in - I had a wheelset built by thecycleclinic recently.

Archetype rims with Miche Racing box hubs and laser/race spokes.

I simply told him what I wanted them for and that I wanted archetype rims. The rest came from his recommendations and I so far can't fault the wheels at all. Ok, I haven't taken them through rubbish weather yet and neither have they seen salty winter roads yet.

What I have noticed though was that even though these aren't the lightest wheels in the world and yes the miche hubs aren't light, they still spin really well. Combined with some nice tyres I'm amazed at how they handle compared to anything I've ridden before.

One advantage of heavier hubs is that they should be built better and last longer.

Personally I'd just call a wheel builder. Speak to them and take their advice onboard.

good advice i think thats just what i will do. your point about tyres is also i good one which i havent really considered . i have a set of vittoria zaffiro slick tyres on at the moment which have been ok all summer but definately do not inspire confidnece in the wet. Prior i had specialized all condition tyres which were much better in bad weather. Without wanting to start a big debate on tyres i think a cheaper hub (such as miche/novatec/shimano 105) and a good set of tyres would be beneficial, otherwise i will have great hubs but be slipping over all the time!

i dont think my budget will stretch to the hope/archetype build when postage and tyres are factored in. its a shame as i do love them, they would be the most durable and they look and sound great. The original question was comparing the rs80, racing 3 with equivalent handbuilts. the rs80 and racing 3 (or zondas) are approximately £320 or thereabouts so handbuilts for that price would be comparable. the hope/archetype build are on justridingalong for £400 so sort of going up a price bracket.

At the moment its the miche hub (due to its 11 speed capability and availavility in 20/24) with either the h plus rim or kinlin rim. Not gonna be a light build though considering the rs80's are claimed 1521g!

its not fixed yet though and i suppose need to speak to a few wheelbuilders to get a few ideas on best hub combinations for my budget/needs
  • nawty
    nawty Posts: 225
    I have the Miche hub / Archetype build and I would take them over either of the wheels you're looking at any day of the week/month/year, they cost less too.

Yes they aren't as light on the scale due to the heavy hub but they roll amazingly well as the rims are light and are very comfortable and handle brilliantly as the rims are 23mm wide.

Add to that I have hubs as solid as they come so I don't need to worry about what conditions I'm riding in or having to service them.

I could have gone for the Hope hubs but decided that it wasn't really worth the extra - you'd be much better off investing the cash in some decent tyres.
    Cannondale CAAD 10 Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight Tiagra
  • nawty wrote:
    I have the Miche hub / Archetype build and I would take them over either of the wheels you're looking at any day of the week/month/year, they cost less too.

Yes they aren't as light on the scale due to the heavy hub but they roll amazingly well as the rims are light and are very comfortable and handle brilliantly as the rims are 23mm wide.

Add to that I have hubs as solid as they come so I don't need to worry about what conditions I'm riding in or having to service them.

I could have gone for the Hope hubs but decided that it wasn't really worth the extra - you'd be much better off investing the cash in some decent tyres.

Agree with the above. I too have Archetypes but ended up with an expensive rear hub as I needed a wheel at short notice. Given more time I would have got a set off Malcolm for £100 less than I paid. The hub is not that important imo as long as it has good bearings and is well sealed. My front wheel is built on a cheap Novatec hub and none the worse for it.
  • due to hardly any tyre clearance on my frame i decided to go with the xr-300 rim instead of the archetype. plenty of love for the achetype and would have probably gone that way if my frame let me. anyhow im happy with what ive chosen, its lighter and should be pretty stiff which is good for me. this is my build:

Kinlin XR-300 rims, front 20h radial, rear 24h 2 cross on Miche primato hubs with spaim lasers and alloy niples.

topped them off with some conti tyres and kool stop salmon pads to minimise rim wear. Many thanks to malcolm at the cycleclinic for the good advice. cant wait to get them on my bike!