How reliable are 10 spd groupsets?

rodgers73
rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
edited September 2013 in Road general
I'm weighing up an upgrade on my bike from 9 spd old Sora to either new 9 spd Sora or 4600 Tiagra or 5700 105.

If I have a priority it is reliability - I don't want a broken chain to ruin my ride or for the system to fail in some other way.

Do 10spd groupsets have any problems with failures of any kind - in particular the chain?

Comments

• Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    No.
  • 9 is reliable but old.. i use it on my winter ride..
    10 and 11 are now the standard so
    Specialized S Works SL2 . Campagnolo Record 11spd. rolling on Campag Zonda wheels

http://app.strava.com/athletes/881211
  • navrig
    navrig Posts: 1,352
    As reliable as 9sp group sets.
  • rodgers73
    So if I was going to upgrade anyway I might as well go for the 10spd?
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Never used 9-spd, but wear on 10-spd is nowhere near as good as 8-spd is.

I've busted two 10-spd chains but they were both almost new so manufacturing defects.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    10 speed is fine but you may find a better deal selling your old bike to fund a new one.
  • rodgers73
    I'm going for new bike plus a groupset upgrade on the old one.
  • As reliable as 9, 8, 7, 6 and 5 were, and more so as the design and research has improved. you'll only bust a chain if you try and change gear whilst going up a hill, after which you learn it's engineered for forwards rather than sideways forces. don't even pause to worry just get on with it.
  • Mikey41
    Mikey41 Posts: 690
    1800 miles on 10sp Tiagra, no issues, haven't needed to replace the chain yet. Do it.
    Giant Defy 2 (2012)
    Giant Defy Advanced 2 (2013)
    Giant Revel 1 Ltd (2013)
    Strava
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    Lakesman wrote:
    you'll only bust a chain if you try and change gear whilst going up a hill, after which you learn it's engineered for forwards rather than sideways forces. don't even pause to worry just get on with it.

Wat8.jpg?1315930535
  • I did 15,000 kms on a Tiagra groupset and only changed the cassette once. Chains and cassettes aren't overly expensive, especially if bought online so I would recommend a 10 speed 105 or Ultegra. You will feel as though you have more options with a 10 speed
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    cmhill79 wrote:
    You will feel as though you have more options with a 10 speed

That is because you do :wink:
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • But this goes up to 11, which is 1 louder than 10.