Garmin edge 500 speed/cadence sensor fitment.

paulc33
paulc33 Posts: 254
edited September 2013 in Workshop
I have a Planet X super light bike with fulcrum 3 wheels and have recently bought a garmin edge 500 with speed/cadence sensor. But there isn't enough clearance to fit the wheel magnet in line with sensor and the wheel rotate.

Has anyone else had this issue and If so how did you resolve this issue.

Thanks
2015 Specialized S-Works Tarmac - Ultegra Di2 (7.0kg)
Kinesis Aithein - Ultegra mechanical (7.3kg)
Kinesis Maxlight Xc130 - xt/ xtr (11.3kg)

spin to win!

Comments

• There are two positions for the speed sensor arm - one where it is sticking up in the air (like so http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4004/4348 ... z.jpg?zz=1), and one where it is tucked down tight against the sensor body (like so http://activekit.co.uk/wp-content/uploa ... 286926.jpg). You slacken off the small philips head screw on the cadence sensor to move it around, then retighten the screw. On tight chainstays, you often have to flip it into the "sticking up" position to avoid it hitting the magnet/spokes.
    "The Flying Scot"
    Commute - Boardman CXR 9.4 Di2
    Sunday Best - Canyon Ultimate SLX Disc w/ DuraAce Di2
  • pirnie
    pirnie Posts: 242
    I wouldn't advise the first suggestion, the arm is designed to point in such a way that if the magnet ( or a spoke) were to hit it for whatever reason then it'll be pushed out the way. If it's pointed up, then if it gets knocked into the wheel then it'll at best wreck the sensor, at worse, wreck the wheel!

You can however, mount it on the bottom of the chainstay, with the arm pointing down, Although I've had problems with this as the spoke magnet has to be so close to the wheel rim that it flexes away from the sensor and it stops reading...
  • daw
    daw Posts: 9
    Turn the spoke magnet round 180 degrees so that it faces away from the sensor.

I had enough physical clearance to mount it the other way on my bike, but found the sensor wouldn't record with the magnet too close.
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    You don't need it GPS will give you speed.
  • paulc33
    I want to use it on turbo trainer in winter.

But also good when GPS goes funny like on my ride yesterday.

spin to win!
  • I have the same problem on my Focus and due to the chain stay I too have to have the speed arm sticking up in the air.
    I just check mine regular to make sure it's not come loose.
    Never had a problem and an invaluable piece of kit for turboing.
  • paulc33
    I have seen slim line magnets on eBay. But wasn't sure if they are any good or not or work correctly??

spin to win!
  • I went with the underside of the non-driveside chainstay:

9703397198_594699dbe2.jpg

A strong magnet on the pedal axel means that side doesn't have to be perfectly aligned.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    FatTed wrote:
    You don't need it GPS will give you speed.
    But the speed/cadence sensor is better - it's more consistent for a start ...