Should my wheels have lasted longer than this?

zardoz
zardoz Posts: 251
edited September 2013 in Road general
I was cleaning my Trek Domane today and noticed that the back wheel was a bit out of true, closer inspection showed that at least 11 areas of the rim around the spoke holes are showing fractures in the metal and there are two holes in the rim at spoke holes. I have only had the bike for 4 months although I have done nearly 4,000 miles on it but I would have expected the wheels (Bontrager Race) to have lasted a bit longer than that. I'm not aware of hitting any potholes particularly hard my weight is a tad over 11.5 stones so not overly heavy.

Before I go back to the shop I bought it from, do you think I would have a warranty claim or would it go down to normal wear and tear and so its new wheels time? The front wheel shows no signs of fatigue.

Comments

• It should be covered by warranty. Rim cracks are manufacturing defects and not tear and wear... don't be bullied into the opposite
    left the forum March 2023
  • zardoz
    Thanks Ugo, I have just checked the warranty and the wheels are covered for 2 years so I am expecting the LBS to replace it. Looks like the winter bike will be out sooner than planned :(
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    As Ugo says. You'll know when the rims are worn as the brake tracks will go thin and concave.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • carrock
    carrock Posts: 1,103
    You should have bought handbuilts, what do you expect :-p
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    carrock wrote:

Don't be ridiculous, he bought a bike that came with wheels, the cheap quality of which is not up to much. This is true of many, many bikes on sale today as it is an area where manufacturers cut corners to sell at a certain price point. Under the sale of goods act, let alone the warranty, they are obviously not fit for purpose. He will get replacements under warranty, but should expect the same outcome if he does the same mileage over the same period. Then he may have cause to demand something better from the supplier...

PP
  • zardoz
    carrock wrote:

Ahhh, I see its all my fault is it? Well it may be sometime since you bought a new bike but generally they come with a set of wheels as supplied but thanks for your well though out comment.
  • 4 months, 4000 miles... 32.5 miles a day average. Impressive!
  • zardoz wrote:
    Ahhh, I see its all my fault is it? Well it may be sometime since you bought a new bike but generally they come with a set of wheels as supplied but thanks for your well though out comment.

I think you mean his well thought out JOKE which passed you by ;)
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    carrock wrote:

Chaps - note Smiley face above (well it hasn't quite come out right but it is there). This usually means what comes before is meant in jest.

Witness also most "wheel" threads on here generally have lots of post advocating getting handbuilt wheels, even those on the lines of "I don't want hand built wheels, which wheels should I buy for £X" will elicit 95 responses of "A nice pair of handbuilts will be ideal for you".

That is all

:D
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • Crozza
    Crozza Posts: 991
    zardoz wrote:
    Thanks Ugo, I have just checked the warranty and the wheels are covered for 2 years so I am expecting the LBS to replace it. Looks like the winter bike will be out sooner than planned :(

eh? tell the LBS you will borrow those Zipp 404s hanging in the window until your replacement wheel arrives!
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Aww don't back off guys, was looking for another rant :-)
  • carrock
    carrock Posts: 1,103
    I'm sure carrock was just having a laugh. Yeah wheels should last much longer than 4000 miles and should only really be worn out when the brake surface is hollowed out

Yes, well spotted. It was a wry comment based on the fact that the phrase often pops up.....particularly on this thread I started after my own factory wheel failure

viewtopic.php?f=40042&t=12927602&hilit=Fulcrum

And for those who took it literally and got all upset........try to keep up.
  • zardoz
    Took the wheel to my LBS, the metal fatigue was on every drive side spoke hole, no quibble, definitely a manufacturing fault covered by warranty they were very apologetic, offered a temporary wheel to keep me riding and should get the new replacement next week. Excellent service from Cyclezone.

Carrock, don't give up the day job to become a comedian :)
    4 months, 4000 miles... 32.5 miles a day average. Impressive!
    One of the benefits of taking early retirement with a nice voluntary redundancy package :D
  • paul_mck
    paul_mck Posts: 1,058
    you should buy some better wheels lol
  • zardoz
    paul_mck wrote:
    you should buy some better wheels lol

I hope this is for comedic effect..........? :roll:
  • paul_mck
    paul_mck Posts: 1,058
    lol = comedic effect :)

(in response to the juicy redundancy package comment)