Can a wheel be buckled the wrong way?

richard_farrant
richard_farrant Posts: 231
edited September 2013 in Road general
Hi

This morning I dropped off my rear wheel with a minor buckle to be repaired, which I though should be quite straightforward...

Just had a call back from the LBS to say that my wheel is buckled in the opposite way to normal and that the loose spokes that would normally be tightened to correct the rim are on the wrong side and that the spokes that need to be tightened are too tight to correct the wheel. He suggested that this type of damage normally comes from a hard side or direct impact but with the exception of a minor crash when mounting a kerb (front wheel slipped out) I haven't had an incident for almost 2 years.

Anyone else had this and have any suggestions that don't involve buying a new wheel (money is a bit tight at the moment)?

Cheers

Rich

Comments

• arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Doesn't sound good to me, ask ugo on here, he's the man when it's wheel related :)
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • Even a minor rim damage can send a rim to the bin. The only way to know is to loosen all the spokes and seeing how the rim looks like when there is no load on it. If it's bent, it's just good for the bin. Other possiblity is that the eyelet (if it has eyelets) has been deformed, that happens too, but typically this type of damage can be sorted out by tightenning the appropriate spoke.
    Their explanation seems a bit of a faff, but in their own words they might be correct in the assessment
    left the forum March 2023
  • Cheers guys, thought it might be a case of replacement, not sure I want to pay someone for a full rebuild on a 2011 Askium wheel only to be told it is still fkd and needs replacing...
  • Cheers guys, thought it might be a case of replacement, not sure I want to pay someone for a full rebuild on a 2011 Askium wheel only to be told it is still fkd and needs replacing...

Nobody in the right state of mind will rebuild an Aksium... it is not economically viable
    left the forum March 2023