Bike buying .....

Graham K
Graham K Posts: 329
edited September 2013 in Road general
How many actually go into detail about the spec of bike your buying, or do you go for the 'That looks nice and in my budget',
I am finding some tech spec's fairly tedious and swaying towards 'I like the look of that'.

Joys of buying a new steed.

Comments

• look at the spec so i get value for money.....
    Focus Cayo Pro
    Cotic Soul custom
    Merida Cross 4
    Planet X Dirty Disco custom cyclocross
    Tern D8 clown bike
  • I'll take the blue one
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    Graham K wrote:
    How many actually go into detail about the spec of bike your buying, or do you go for the 'That looks nice and in my budget',
    I am finding some tech spec's fairly tedious and swaying towards 'I like the look of that'.

Joys of buying a new steed.

Buy in haste, repent at leisure.

Caveat Emptor.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • hatch87
    hatch87 Posts: 352
    Bought a Kouta, looks great, and you customize the spec right down to the bar tape colour :D
    http://app.strava.com/athletes/686217
    Come on! You call this a storm? Blow, you son of a bitch! Blow! It's time for a showdown! You and me! I'm right here! Come and get me!
  • For the most part, if it has a 105 or above, i'm happy, and I then based my purchase around looks.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    For me its a balance of the way the bike rides, looks and its spec. Unless the spec is quite poor the first two are more important for me but value for money is important. The worst case is a bike with a great spec you hate riding and can't stand the look of.
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Specs first then looks.
  • I've just purchased a new bike and have learnt from making some modifications post purchase that more thought/ knowledge needs to go into a purchase. The specs are more important than you think. Not so much whether they are 105 or Ultegra or Dura Ace etc but that they are the right specs for you.
    I've gone from a compact (50/34 teeth on the front rings) to a 53/39 and its made a huge difference. I.e the more teeth on the front rings the harder it is up the hills. I've had to change the rear cassette from an 12-25 to a 12-30 which required a new chain as the original one didn't suit this cassette. Fortunately the LBS changed these over for a reasonable price but it can get expensive to change components.
    If your budget permits then a carbon frame is a no brainer and as far as wheels are concerned I've never really seen a massive difference between moderately priced wheels and more expensive ones. I am sure there is a difference but to me it is subtle.
    Good tyres will save you time and anxiety with punctures. You don't necessarily need to spend a lot of money either. Often the manufactures skimp on the tyres. I swear by Maxxis Refuse. They can be picked up online in Australia for around $30 which is very reasonable.
    Hope this helps
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    I knew the brand I wanted to buy and liked the look of the frame, didn't think too much about spec knowing I could (and have) upgrade as I go along.
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn