Fox Fork Air Chamber oil gone...

captainbligh
captainbligh Posts: 35
edited September 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hey....

I have a fork Fox F-Series 120 FIT RL from 2010-2011 ...

So, today I wanted to swap the old seals for the new low frictions ones, turned the bike upside down and stupidly enough I forgot to remove the air from the fork before turning it upside down, so I removed the air with the bike already upside down.

What happened was that when I removed the air with the bike upside down, about one and a half soup spoon of oil got out (approx.). It just seemed as if the fork had puked...

The oil was clean and nice, kind of blueish greenish color I would say. Not know for sure if it was mixed with bath oil, but looked fine.

My question is, will it be harmful to give the bike a test ride like this? (In the city). And if it is harmful for the fork, how do I add more oil into the air chamber? And/Or do I need to add also more oil into the lowers, in case it has been mixed.

I hope someone can help, thanks!

Comments

• oxocube1
    oxocube1 Posts: 651
    I wouldn't recommend doing a fork service upside down if you can avoid it! You will ideally need to replace the oil that came out. There is usually only a small volume of it in the air chamber side.

Find your forks here and then look for the correct oil volumes. If you take the lowers off when they are the right side up, the fluid from the uppers will drain out so you will need to replace it anyway. Personally I would always suggest doing both the seals and the new oil at the same time as it saves a job further down the line. Normally you will have to remove the damper and air cartridge using a 26mm(?) socket and add the new oil into either side once the lowers are back on.

Kinda difficult to explain in words so search for a video on Youtube. You may not find your exact fork on there but the principle is the same. Either that or use the Fox manuals I just linked you. Good luck!
  • dusk
    dusk Posts: 583
    You should have only lost the float fluid, you can buy small amounts and refill it by removing the top from the air side and pouring in (think it only needs around 10mls)
    YT Wicked 160 ltd
    Cotic BFe
    DMR Trailstar
    Canyon Roadlite