cheap winter run around

dave02
dave02 Posts: 325
edited August 2013 in Road general
Want a cheap( sub £500) road bike for winter use, possibly fit 28mm tyres to, any make will do just want to use it on roadstone/tarmac cycle paths and short commutes. any suggestions.

Ta

Comments

• Dezcore
    Dezcore Posts: 34
    Ever thought about Fixed/Single Speed, easy to clean maintain etc, My own is an Python Atlas and it's an absolute blast, actually gets more use than my Geared bike. Spent less than 300£ on it including spd pedals. In 3 months all I have bought towards it is the 2 spare tubes and chain tighteners for the back wheel total cost £13, it came with 25c wheels.
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    Would a cross bike suit you ? This has been discussed at length in the commuting thread today. http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/product ... e/bicycles

Lots of other good bikes in their sale.
    Edit. Here's the thread with comments on the Rev Cross viewtopic.php?f=40052&t=12939109
  • saprkzz
    saprkzz Posts: 592
    I am about to do the same, I am looking at the Boardman CX, my mate runs cross tyres in the winter season, and then slicks for his daily crapper and its excellent.
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    does it have to be new? could probably get something pretty decent for £500, and if its going to be used in winter and all weathers/grit/grime then it wouldnt stay new for long!
    check the classifieds here and ebay/gumtree might grab yourself a bargain.
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • ct8282
    ct8282 Posts: 414
    I'm in the same boat, similar budget too. I'm defo going Dixie/single speed though. Love the Genesis Flyer coz its just beautiful, but the Spesh Langster looks good at the £500ish mark.

Think I've settled on the On-One Pompino though.... maybe...?
  • dave02
    Thanks
    Will have a look at the revolution cross, it looks ok, any dealings with this bike retailer,
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    dave02 wrote:
    Thanks
    Will have a look at the revolution cross, it looks ok, any dealings with this bike retailer,

It's been a few years since I bought a bike from them, and that was instore (Newcastle). I still buy lots of stuff from them online and their customer service is excellent both online and by phone, always helpful. It's run as a co-op and staff tend to be keen cyclists.

If you live anywhere near a store, then go in and have a look at the bikes otherwise call to discuss what you want.
  • dave02
    will look at their site.
    ta