SS gearing for borrower

rick_chasey
rick_chasey Posts: 72,692
edited August 2013 in Commuting chat
I've finally decided to up my ss gearing. 42 x 16 just isn't long enough.

Any recommendations? I obviously don't mind spinning fast at the top end. I like to use my ride into work as a proper workout, but I don't want to have a gear I will hate as soon as it gets windy and cold.

Any suggestions? My knowledge on stuff like this is very limited.

Comments

• 42-16 is 70in so a 15t would knock it to 42-15 and 74in which would be cheaper.

or if you got a 46t chain ring you could have.
    16t = 76in
    17t =71in

44t chain ring would give you
    16t = 73in
    17t = 68in

I personally run 46-16 I weigh a lot more than you and manage to grind though head winds and up most surrey hills, managed 121miles few months back...I can nudge 30mph on a good day though i'm unlikely to hold it at more than 24/25mph 120rpm
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    anything less than 48/16T is ghey

FACT
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    Think I'm probably looking at 48x15t on the plans for what I'm going to order next week. Man up Rick?
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • pitchshifter
    pitchshifter Posts: 1,476
    Not sure you can go lower than a 16t freewheel. Bigger chain ring is probably your only option. 46T should be about right, any bigger jump may cause injury problems.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I've just ordered a 17t freewheel to give me 48/17.

I quite like spinning the 15miles each way at 110rpm but much above 25mph and it gets a bit bouncy. I think I need to lose a tooth at the back if I want to break the 20mph average commute.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    50/17.
  • itboffin
    50/17.

Like a real man 8)
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    itboffin wrote:
    50/17.

Like a real man 8)

....with shot knees....
  • itboffin
    Pah knees are for the weak

anywoo if any of your crazy fools does or is thinking of riding fixed I have one of the miche changeable fixed devices, as the name suggests it allows you to quickly swap over sprocket sizes, i bought it in a moment of madness - then realised FG suck big hairy balls big time.

PM me if your interested, foooools!
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,630
    Surely you have to make allowances for the extremely short cranks and tiny wheels? Even more so than SS gearing for a hobbit.