Bike frame issues

apple eater
apple eater Posts: 302
edited August 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
I have discovered that the axle has been eating into my frame. I noticed yesterday that my back wheel was off central by about 2 - 3 mm.

When i stripped the wheel off today it seems that the axle seat in the frame has worn away.

Is there anything i can do to rectify this?

I'm assuming welding is out of the question due to the effect the heat would have on the alloy.

The frame is a 2012 carrera vulcan.
I don't know enough to make smart r's remarks about peoples choice of parts 'n' things, yet!

Comments

• Can you take it back to where you bought it. Is it still in warranty?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    To move the wheel 2mm would mean one dropout would have to be worn away by 4mm, that doesn't sound likely, also wear will only occur with a loose QR so would be operator error.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • It's a used bike bought in a private sale so no returns there.

The axle does move approx 2mm on each side, unlikely or not it is the case. As far as operator error maybe / maybe not. Does overtightening count as not many people i ride with can release the qr arm after i've tightened it?

I've fitted a new and better skewer so hopefully it will hold better than the last. What is meant by adjusting the dish to centre the wheel?
    I don't know enough to make smart r's remarks about peoples choice of parts 'n' things, yet!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    New and better should mean shimano, anything external cam isn't as good and most cheap ones are (in the short term at least) just as good as expensive ones.

I would measure axle and frame to see which has actualy changed, maybe a washer or 2 has been left out of the cones/locknuts The dropout internal and axle over lock nut should both be 135mm.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Are you running on the axle or the skewer?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The new skewer is a shimano one, the quality is significantly better than the no brand thing that was in there. One thing i have since noticed is that the old skewer is slightly bent.

I'm running on the axle not the skewer. However there is only 4-5mm maximum of exposed axle each side. I was wondering if the axle was too short thus causing it to eat into the frame as things flex during use? Or maybe i'm overthinking things.

I have today inserted 2 small pieces of 1.6mm aluminium into the gaps between the axle and frame to make things more secure and to help the wheel stay in line. I'm off to BPW again on sunday so i'll see how it holds up.

I've got my eye a new trek excalibur 7 so if the wheel / frame fails i'll get a new bike.