Oh Dear, cut & bruised, bike potentially totalled but lucky!

brindlescoops
brindlescoops Posts: 464
edited September 2013 in Road general
Went for a nice ride tonight with my Neighbour on a brand new never even been out the garage set of wheels, had a cracking ride, on the home stretch a deer runs out from the hedge at the side of me, probably spooked by the light and embeds itself in my rear wheel, we were doing 20-30mph and I somehow managed to stay on until i had scrubbed enough speed not to have major injury before falling off and into the road as I watch the poor Deer wrestle itself free from the bike and run off. Wheel is completely totalled and I think the frame is gone I need to check the rear stays and the rest of the bike in the light, but I cant inagine they wont have been damaged by the impact, we looked to see if the Deer was OK but it had gone, I just have the usual road rash and bruises, BUT I am ih so thankful it didnt go into the front wheel as I would have been straight over the bars, also up until that point we had been drafting but decided to ride alongside each kther for a chat as the road was quiet, so potentially it could have been both of us and with much worse injuries.

Oh and the deer must have shat itself so the bike is also covered in that too. :cry:

Phew, didn't expect that tonight.
My biggest fear is that should I crash, burn and die, my Wife would sell my stuff based upon what I told her I paid for it.

Comments

• Gutted for you about the bike, but at least you are reasonably okay though.
  • To add insult to injury, my wife thinks its hilarious. (Read my tag line - it may help to explain this a little)
    My biggest fear is that should I crash, burn and die, my Wife would sell my stuff based upon what I told her I paid for it.
  • I, being the neighbour, am extremely glad I was beside, and not behind him at this point! I think Bambi might have a headache tonight though.

On a brighter note - the MagicShines we were both using are *amazing*. They lit up pitch-black country lanes like it was daylight, and err, seemed to attract the wildlife! :-(
    Trek Madone 3.1 Carbon 2012 Road
    Sunn Kern S1 2011 MTB
    "Mellow Johnny's" water bottle from Lance's shop in Austin
  • Alitogata
    Alitogata Posts: 148
    Thank gods you didn't got injured that much. Bikes can be repaired easier than humans and deers are not what would say small animals. I would be scared to death if I would see something that big falling on me..
    Anyway..At least you'll have to tell a good story about an unusual accident. I have never heard in my life about a collision between a cyclist and a deer. :)
  • lawrences
    lawrences Posts: 1,011
    Maybe the deer was out to get you.

It tackles you, shits on you when you're down then runs off... if you can't laugh about that one day down the line then there's no hope.

Joking aside shame about the bike atleast you're ok.
  • lawrences
    Alitogata wrote:
    Thank gods you didn't got injured that much. Bikes can be repaired easier than humans and deers are not what would say small animals. I would be scared to death if I would see something that big falling on me..
    Anyway..At least you'll have to tell a good story about an unusual accident. I have never heard in my life about a collision between a cyclist and a deer. :)

C'mon surely you've seen this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2oymHHyV1M
  • Alitogata wrote:

No neither had I before! The bleeding has pretty much stopped and Donkey Wings, obviously as shook up as I was has generously donated a stiff drink to calm my nerves!
  • lawrences wrote:
    Alitogata wrote:

Yep that was pretty much it, though UK deer are slightly smaller and this one had its head down at just about wheel height, but the drama and conclusion were pretty much the same!
  • lawrences
    Just out of interest what model magicshine do you guys have? they sound great.
  • I got this one...
    Magicshine MJ-880U 2200 Lumen LED Bike Light
    I am not kidding - this is not a see-me light - this is a see-everything-100-yards-in-front-of-you-like-it-was-daytime-even-in-the-pitch-black. With 3 hours battery life. I think BrindleScoops has the older, cheaper, not as powerful version, but it doesn't matter because mine lights up the whole world! ;-) Oh, and his attracts Deers, whereas mine has an anti-wildlife filter. Probably.
    Trek Madone 3.1 Carbon 2012 Road
    Sunn Kern S1 2011 MTB
    "Mellow Johnny's" water bottle from Lance's shop in Austin
  • VeloPeo
    VeloPeo Posts: 23
    Ooof - at least you're OK

Was doing a night stage on London to Paris 24 a few years ago when a deer jumped out in front of us from one field, across the road and into a field on the other side. I was riding second wheel and it can only have missed the guy in front by centimetres. would have taken out a peloton of about 40 if it had hit the guy up front. We eased the pace back a bit after that :)
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    i had a squirrel bounce off my spokes, wouldnt fancy tangling with a deer though.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • I had a pigeon bounce off my spokes... yeah not the brightest animals, I'm steaming down the road and it takes off but into my front wheel rather than away from it... luckily it bounced off rather than get caught inside.

On the subject of deers though, I reckon this must have happened more than once in Richmond Park. No evidence but I do see deer crossing the road now and then, and with the number of cyclists there surely there must be incidents occasionally.
  • Well, looking at the damage this morning, the frame looks OK, I cant believe the stays got away undamaged, maybe this carbon stiff is stronger than you think!

Off to get a tetanus this aft, as the gouges in my shin look like teeth marks and coupled with the fact my shoe buckes have deer hair embedded in them, it looks like my left leg / crank arm took the brunt and the poor thing must have had a leg in the rear wheel to smash that up.

Anyone want to buy a 22 mile old Fulcrum racing 5 front wheel? LOl!
  • Well, looking at the damage this morning, the frame looks OK, I cant believe the stays got away undamaged, maybe this carbon stiff is stronger than you think!

Off to get a tetanus this aft, as the gouges in my shin look like teeth marks and coupled with the fact my shoe buckes have deer hair embedded in them, it looks like my left leg / crank arm took the brunt and the poor thing must have had a leg in the rear wheel to smash that up.

Anyone want to buy a 22 mile old Fulcrum racing 5 front wheel? LOl!

I'll give you 2 Oreos and a bit of chocolate cake for it?
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Well, looking at the damage this morning, the frame looks OK, I cant believe the stays got away undamaged, maybe this carbon stiff is stronger than you think!

I would not be surprised if the carbon did flex - it's not designed to be stiff that way.
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    My wife was nearly caught in the middle of a deer stampede a few years ago. Riding around the forests at night allows you to see wonderous events, like a fully antlered up Buck running down the narrow trail for 50m right in front of you.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • Slowbike wrote:
    Well, looking at the damage this morning, the frame looks OK, I cant believe the stays got away undamaged, maybe this carbon stiff is stronger than you think!

I would not be surprised if the carbon did flex - it's not designed to be stiff that way.

Whats the general thoughts on this, is there anyway to tell if its Ok? The paint doesn't look cracked, it MUST have flexed as 5 spoked were ripped in half as it acted as a chopping board for poor bambi. :?

As a 16.5 stone rider, I am always a bit paranoid about things not being structurally perfect,
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Carbon & Flexing ...

Another hobby of mine is sailing dinghies ... I had one boat with carbon spars (mast, boom & bowsprit). As soon as the mainsail was put up the mast was bent - it was designed too. I watched the boom bending when I pulled the mainsheet in really tight and the bowsprit ... well ... when you're sailing faster than many cycle you can expect a bit of bending in the bowsprit when the spinnaker is flying. All straightened back up to their normal aspect once the load is removed.

Should your carbon bike flex? Well, carbon forks are said to take a lot of the road buzz out of riding - how do they do that? Quite simply, they flex ... they're designed too.

You're right to inspect your bike though - it's taken a load where it's not designed too. It does sound as though it may have flexed. If it were me then I'd be checking the sideways stability as well as the lateral movement of each stay - hopefully you've got away with it.
  • racingcondor
    racingcondor Posts: 1,434
    If there's no marking on it and no cracks in the paint (which could be a sign of deeper damage) then very likely that it's fine. Given what happened to your back wheel and what happened to cause the accident that's pretty impressive.

Hope the deer got away relatively undamaged like you seem to have and that your road rash heals up quickly. Stories like this don't help my paranoia about suicidal squirrels throwing themselves in my front wheel though...
  • Guanajuato
    Guanajuato Posts: 399
    Never had a clsoe call with a deer. But I've had plenty of suicidal Hares & Rabbits. One rabbit managed to run between my wheels when I was doing 30+mph on a narrow descent. Sheep are my main problem. They'll stay still at the side of the road, munching on grass right until the point you've decided they're not going to move, then they'll go en masse. And as for bloody cows... a tonne or so of muscle with very little brain.
  • pkripper
    pkripper Posts: 652
    deer me
  • dodgerdog
    dodgerdog Posts: 292
    Sounds like it should now be a no-eye-dear if it took the brunt of the impact to its head.
    Allez Triple (hairy with mudguards) - FCN 4
    Ribble Gran Fondo
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Slowbike wrote:
    Carbon & Flexing ...

Another hobby of mine is sailing dinghies ... I had one boat with carbon spars (mast, boom & bowsprit). As soon as the mainsail was put up the mast was bent - it was designed too. I watched the boom bending when I pulled the mainsheet in really tight and the bowsprit ... well ... when you're sailing faster than many cycle you can expect a bit of bending in the bowsprit when the spinnaker is flying. All straightened back up to their normal aspect once the load is removed.

Should your carbon bike flex? Well, carbon forks are said to take a lot of the road buzz out of riding - how do they do that? Quite simply, they flex ... they're designed too.

You're right to inspect your bike though - it's taken a load where it's not designed too. It does sound as though it may have flexed. If it were me then I'd be checking the sideways stability as well as the lateral movement of each stay - hopefully you've got away with it.

Take a good look at carbon fibre fishing rods and windsurf masts to understand the kind of flex, loading and response that can be achieved. As you've pointed out to the OP, it's down to the designer to manage that flex/stiffness compromise.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Alitogata
    lawrences wrote:
    Alitogata wrote:

:shock: :shock: :shock: How you say it!!! Holly sh%^$#@) !!! :lol:

No I haven't seen this. This thing almost attacked him and this poor guy in the video fall head first.. :shock: :(
  • Alitogata
    Alitogata wrote:

No neither had I before! The bleeding has pretty much stopped and Donkey Wings, obviously as shook up as I was has generously donated a stiff drink to calm my nerves!

I can imagine how scared you were. Hope you feel better now.. :):)
  • Alitogata
    I had a pigeon bounce off my spokes... yeah not the brightest animals, I'm steaming down the road and it takes off but into my front wheel rather than away from it... luckily it bounced off rather than get caught inside.

On the subject of deers though, I reckon this must have happened more than once in Richmond Park. No evidence but I do see deer crossing the road now and then, and with the number of cyclists there surely there must be incidents occasionally.

Same for me once .. I was going about 30km and a stupid pigeon hit my spokes and I .. run over it. I managed not to fall but when I stopped and turned back it was dead and splattered on the road. Needless to say I fell so bad that I killed this pigeon that I went back home sick.
    Then I had to wash the bike because my spokes were full of pigeon feathers ( and other disgusting stuff). :roll: A friend of mine told me that the pigeon didn't manage to fly because it was sick or injured and that it would have died anyway.
    But that was it.. I had no other collisions with little animals.
  • This is the biggest thing that scares me on rides - dear and other large wildlife running out. There are lots of them around me and I have had them run out 50m or so away but so far so good.

EEK .... :shock: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hc32IeN5wrA
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    New forest ponies are quite fun to deal with when they are in large herds and you are doing a busy sportive...
  • The charms of country life!!! What about dogs?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3YN7-xfASk