annoying noise!

fyfie5
fyfie5 Posts: 29
edited September 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
I have a commencal meta 55 2010 and there is a clicking/creaking noise coming from somewhere when im sitting down and pedalling up hill and its quite annoying! when I stand and pedal its not there, I've tried taking off seat lubing rails, lubing seat clamp, greasing seat post and rear drop outs as they were mentioned on commencal forum but its still there! there is a tiny bit of play in the rear suspension but the noise sounds like its coming from the headset, I really don't know! Is there anyway to adjust things or find out where the noise is coming from?

cheers

Comments

• Had this on mine and thought seat post .Wrong ...... it was seat to saddle clamp . ( not same bike ) . Personally wouldn't lube the rails just check bolts are tight . I was being too cautious on a carbon post .
  • fyfie5
    tried tightening bolt up on the seat post to the saddle and the seat clamp but its still there. when I push down on the rear suspension and as I let it lift up it creaks once sometimes I have to pull it up, might try a different seat and post?
  • fyfie5
    just tried another seat and post and I can still replicate the noise :(
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Check everything, BB, cranks, pedals, headset, cables, suspension pivots. Etc.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • j_l
    j_l Posts: 425
    My Meta 4 does the same from time to time, I found the best cure is to remove the shock and pivot assembly, give a through clean and re assemble all the pivot points with fresh clean grease and torque to required amount, also the main pivot point, to do this you will need to remove the crank / chain set and then the pivot bolts from the swing arm clean bearings thoroughly with penetrating oil / water displacing lube and re grease and reassemble, I normally have to do this every 3 or so months after wet riding or regular washing.

whilst you have the associated parts dismantled it might also be worth removing the bearing seals carefully and re packing with grease to prolong their life.

the whole operation normally takes me 1-2 hours depending on how mucky it all is, but is well worth the effort as I am still on all the original pivot bearings after 3 years and they show no sign of wear or rough movement.

hope it helps.
    I'm not old I'm Retro
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    I've had annoying noises from little things like cables tapping on the frame and so on.

I would undo the headset and just check the bearings over in case and re grease unless they are sealed cartridge type and re tighten the bolts up
  • I have a feeling it might be the headset but im not sure, it looks like the bearings haven't been replaced since new, so im going to put it to my LBS to see if they can diagnose it properly