Varifocal Contact Lenses for cycling.

zardoz
zardoz Posts: 251
edited October 2013 in Road general
I would be interested in anyone's experiences of wearing varifocal contact lenses for cycling.

At the moment I am using monocular contacts but I have difficulty in accurately judging distances. My best vision on the bike is no correction at all but then I can't read my gps,maps or anything else close (isn't getting old a b****r?) . I have an appointment next week with my optician to discuss a trial of varifocal contacts.

Comments

• Had fitting session 2 weeks ago and trial varifocal lenses arrived yesterday
    Went for a fit and couldn't see very well with left eye.
    The lens wouldnt sit straight and they've ordered another lens with a different axis.
    Have my doubts on whether they'll be any good for cycling though.
    There seems to be some compromise with reading/distance
    Will await next trial before making a decision, but leaning towards just wearing spectacles
    I always carried reading glasses with me when I just wore normal lenses.
    Not ideal but worked out ok.
  • Have you tried using just one contact lense, in your dominant eye? I had a similar problem, adjusting from distance to reading with contacts in. It was the solution my option suggested.
    To find your dominant eye, hold an index finger at arms length in line with your nose, with both eyes open. Close one eye, looking at your finger with the open eye.then repeat by closing the other eye, looking at your finger. What should happen one of the open eyes should keep your finger in the same position as when you look with both eyes. This eye is your dominant eye.
    Some you then wear your normal lense in that eye and keep the the other eye 'naked'. It takes a little getting used to, but it does work. I've tried on rides several times.
    If in doubt, speak to your optician. They my persuade you to use varifocals, but have you got anything to loose by trying this first?
  • triquin
    triquin Posts: 30
    I realise that everyone is different but I use the following.

I wear a reading lense in one eye and a distance lense in the other. My vision is perfect! I can read my Garmin clearly even in low light and road signs certainly aren't a problem.
    Take yourself along to a very well known high street opticians and you can have a free trial for a month. I certainly haven't looked back :D since I ditched my glasses. Hope this helps you.

Pete
  • BigSpecs
    BigSpecs Posts: 309
    Impossible to tell without knowing your prescription or your ocular details but...

If in range, try the Clariti 1-day Multifocal. It's as close to a presbyopia panacea as you're going to find...
  • I got some varifocal lenses recently and had my first ride with them today. I found them absolutely fine for reading my Garmin. They don't correct my reading sight completely (prescription is 1.5) but they are a definite improvement on ordinary contact lenses. They have not impaired my distance vision either.

My advice would be to give them a try. I'm with SpecSavers - they gave me a pair for a month's trial and you will need to persevere with them for a while because your eyes take a few days or so to adjust.
  • zardoz
    Thanks for your comments. I tried varifocal lenses yesterday and they were considerably better than the monocular lenses that I have been using to date although I haven't tried riding with them yet. I'm getting a few pairs to trial so I'll see how I get on with them. I'll post back here as to how it goes.
  • zardoz
    Well I tried the varifocal lenses and they were excellent far better than the monocular ones that I had been using. The only thing was that they don't correct the astigmatism that I have in my left eye so I also trialled another manufacturers varifocal lenses that also correct astigmatism. These were the monthly lenses rather than daily ones but I found these pretty useless so I've settled on the varifocal lenses and I'll put up with the slight compromise on correcting the astigmatism. Just waiting for them to arrive now.