Winstanley Bikes

redvee
redvee Posts: 11,922
edited August 2013 in Commuting chat
How much do they assemble and PDI the bikes they sell mail order? A friend is waiting for his to be delivered from them and he's volunteered me to check it over and build it up if necessary.
I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.

Comments

• moarspeed
    moarspeed Posts: 119
    No idea, I used them once to buy a new saddle, but after 4 weeks waiting they admitted they didn't have any in stock and couldn't get it, and so I cancelled my order.

I'm not sure what their setup is, but I get the impression it's a drop shipping business running from a small industrial unit. They don't seem to keep stock, rather rely on their suppliers giving them up to date inventory/stock levels.

Nothing wrong with this setup, it sure keeps prices down, but it's just not your typical bike shop. I'm fairly sure it's a "side business" they're running next to some other "main" business. I've heard tales of people phoning them and getting a confused response when trying to order bike parts.

Do they assemble/build bikes? hmmm.... The question should be "Do they employ anyone who knows about bikes?"
  • heathy_76
    heathy_76 Posts: 213
    MOARspeed wrote:
    No idea, I used them once to buy a new saddle, but after 4 weeks waiting they admitted they didn't have any in stock and couldn't get it, and so I cancelled my order.

Happened to me twice (although not for 4 weeks admittedly) but I have never entertained the idea of using them again.
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    edited August 2013
    i bought my kona stinky off them, many moons ago. they seemed ok but i picked my bike up in person

they are ridiculous for saying they have items in stock then magically haven't any more though when you turn up to the door

(happened with Magura brakes, rotors, an loads of other bits)

they are tres cheap though
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • Davdandy
    Davdandy Posts: 571
    Winstanley`s are based in a retail unit and have lots of stock.Though the main front of the shop is sparse you can go upstairs and view a few bikes but most of the things you wish to see are behind the counter.If you wish to view something they will get it for you but it isn't like a shop like Evans for instance where you can touch the items.

I am lucky as it isnt too far from my house so never need to order online.
    Cannondale CAAD 8 105
    Rockrider 8.1
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,579
    A friend of mine ordered a hybrid thing off them around 5 years ago, and it came fully assembled - all he had to do was pop the pedals on, and straighten the handlebars.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Daniel B wrote:
    A friend of mine ordered a hybrid thing off them around 5 years ago, and it came fully assembled - all he had to do was pop the pedals on, and straighten the handlebars.

That is some lead time...

I am always dubious, when they seem to have stock of everything that you cant get elsewhere.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • sassse
    sassse Posts: 64
    I recently bought a Bianchi for commuting off them. It arrived within a week and was packed really well. Only assembly required was to put the front wheel in and righten up brakes, put handlebars onto stem and drop in saddle add pedals of choice. A few mins at most. I checked it over but nothing else for me to do.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I've tried ordering from them before, but everything I've attempted to buy has ended up being out of stock.

I don't bother looking at the site any more.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • moarspeed
    moarspeed Posts: 119
    So it seems bikes turn up all very well, but parts do not.....
    If I had to guess I'd say they wait for several orders on parts before bothering their supplier, possibly due to minimum order values.

But as someone mentioned above, they are cheaper than average.