Wireless Computer

dinyull
dinyull Posts: 2,979
edited August 2013 in Road buying advice
Looking for a new wireless computer and needing one where the sensor is strong enough to work on the rear wheel for turbo use.

VDO has just packed in, but had a fair few problems with it and have heard bad things from others too so want to avoid them.

Budget is around £40.

Comments

• diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    I have a wireless on my turbo and have to have it on the top tube for it to work, most are only good if set 60-70cm away from the sensor. If it's only for on the turbo I would consider a wired one which may allow it to be mounted on the stem, this is the route I am going to look at when both the batteries need changing on the wireless. :)
  • dinyull
    Yeah, I had the same problem (top tube for turbo) with the VDO. Want wireless though, as have seen a fair few rear mounted sensors for cateye etc.

It's not just for turbo, will be doing weekends and nights till the winter rolls in and then the turbo will take over the nights.
  • diamonddog
    I use a GPS computer for the road bike, I prefer the fact that there is no sensor or magnet to keep set up, I have had problems with them moving in the past. The other thing is that there are no batteries to change, with the GPS when they are flat you just recharge them. I understand your budget is £40 but I would save it and put it towards a GPS Edge 200 or something similar.
    This is only my opinion others will definitely disagree. :)
  • dinyull
    It doesn't fit my budget or need as I'd then have to buy another computer for the turbo.
  • diamonddog
    Understand what you're saying although the GPS ones can be used indoors as a timer only, I have a Velomann or look at CatEye wireless ones.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Why would you need a wireless computer for a turbo trainer. Buy a cheapie wired one and ride. What's the big deal? :?
  • dinyull
    There is no big deal. In my experience a cheap wired one doesn't have a long enough wire to stretch to rear wheel. And ones that do are a bit of a pain having to wrap around cables etc and look a bit crap.

So...can anyone recommend a wireless computer with a stong enough sensor to work on the rear wheel?

Cheers