mtb easier than road?

2»

Comments

• kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    If you take my carve comp MTB it weighs about 13kg with no kit on it (tools , pump , water bottle etc.). Off road for me it is well balanced and fast. On road it is far from slow but I feel like I am dragging it up hill due to the extra grip from the big tyres and wheels plus the impact of having front suspension.

If you take my Trek road bike it weighs under just over 10kg fully kitted up. I wouldn't take it off road as it would get wrecked. On road it is noticeable faster especially up hill when for me the power is going very smoothly to the wheels and it has a rigid carbon fork so no real lost power there. The road tyres are also slimmer with less grip as I found out when the back end kicked out in a dusty car park :)

I am quite new to road biking but have seen the average speed difference on the bikes riding on road round a set course grow to over 3mph in favour of the road bike. I expect this to widen further as I get fitter and more used to the road bike.

The big thing that kills road bikes speed is rough or very loose surfaces. This is where MTB's come into their own.
  • CSDGC
    CSDGC Posts: 8
    Having bought my first road bike 2 weeks ago today, I can say it is far easier to ride at the same speed as my hybrid or dirt jump. It's also easier to pull the bike through a turn. The OP's problem is with his logic.
    poejollard wrote:
    I found that it was harder to maintain a higher speed than my mountain bike