6' 3" riders have what size bike?

Unamed2.0
Unamed2.0 Posts: 41
edited August 2013 in Road beginners
FIrst time poster, about to get first road bike since teens.

Out of interest, what size bike (top tube length is my concern) do people ride who are 6' 3"?

I've test-ridden one with a 585mm ETT, and this felt a little short (I wanted to push back along the saddle). I know I should get the bike that "feels right" (rather than estimating via geometry measurements) but perhaps my riding posture (that feels comfortable for test rides) is in fact one that means I am over-reaching - and so I will end up putting too much strain on my shoulders/upper back for normal 30-40km rides.

So I just wanted to get a feel for what other people rode ... thanks for any comments etc.

Comments

• napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    I'd suggest a 60cm top tube.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • bosdoc
    bosdoc Posts: 19
    Im 6'3 and jsut bought a caad 8 58 cm frame- fits perfectly and sized in a decent LBS. The larger 61cm frame too big and felt like stretching as well as the fact that your balls are less well protected if u have to step down quickly. On the sizing charts 6'3 is higher end 58cm and lower end 61cm.
  • I'm 6'3" and have a 58cm Specialized Allez Elite, which fits perfectly. That has a top tube length of 582mm.

Hope that helps and good luck and enjoy.
  • Thanks a lot for the replies.

The bike I test rode was a Large Giant TCR. But I am thinking of going for a 58cm Felt F85:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/felt-f85-tiagra-2013/

It has a ETT of 580mm, and a stem length of 110mm. I figure I can change the stem (up to 130mm) if necessary. Is that a typical (and legitimate) thing to do?

Thanks again.
  • lawrences
    lawrences Posts: 1,011
    6'3" and a 61cm frame. Possibly a tad too large but was still growing when I bought it.

A 130cm stem on a 58 would handle fine. Also that Felt looks like a nice bike.
  • bill_gates
    bill_gates Posts: 469
    Both my bikes are 60cm and are very comfortable. Now I got my seat height correct I get very little fit related pain(s).

I am 6' 3' and 3/4

"I like riding in my car, it's not quite a Jaguar."
  • im 6.3/4 depending on how my bones are.

look is xl frame, perfect fit.

orbea was 60 cm, i have suspicion for whatever reason it was slightly too big for me.
  • btw height isnt the be all and end all, leg torso arms are all factors.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    6'2" here with 34" inside leg. Spesh 58 is very comfy for me
  • Dezza
    Dezza Posts: 155
    Im a tad taller at 6ft4" - XL Ridley and 60cm Kinesis T2.

I feel your pain.
  • IShotYou
    IShotYou Posts: 19
    6'3" with a Trek 60cm. Perfect fit. I test rode a 58 and it was too small. A mate of mine (similar size) bought a similar bike from a different shop and was sold a 58, and it never worked for him-he tried mine, and was quite pissed at the shop he got his.
    Not many shops have larger frames than 60cm to demo, if you demo your shortlist you'll know what's right and what isn't...unless you mail order.
  • bill_gates
    bill_gates Posts: 469
    im 6.3/4 depending on how my bones are.

orbea was 60 cm, i have suspicion for whatever reason it was slightly too big for me.

I think my 60cm Orbea is really comfy and I don't think I look incorrect when perched on it.

"I like riding in my car, it's not quite a Jaguar."
  • not uncomfortbale, or look wrong, just something about it not quite right, however many set ups i tried.
  • Cupras
    Cupras Posts: 145
    I ride a Large Giant Defy but I would have gone Xl in a the Scott cr1.

Depends on the bike I rode loads before deciding what to buy and I got the one that felt the nicest to ride even though a few of the components on the bike were downgrade to other models at the price.
  • Tom Dean
    Tom Dean Posts: 1,723
    Get a proper fit, and buy from somewhere that is able to sell you a bigger frame if you need it - plenty of brands don't go any bigger than a 580 top tube. A test ride is pointless unless the bike is set up exactly how you need it.

The problem with buying a frame on the small side is not the top tube (I use a 140mm stem on mine, at 6'4") but the headtube. You don't want to have to use lots of spacers.
  • drewk1
    drewk1 Posts: 61
    I'm 6' 3" and had a 61 Allez which felt too stretched after a while.

I changed to a 58 which feels a lot better.

Spesh Hardrock Sport Disc 2009
    Focus Cayo 2.0
    Dawes Scorpio beater
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Depends on the frame type; I'm 6'2" and have a 58cm compact frame and a 61cm classic frame, both fit me. The compact having a sloping top tube, the classic being horizontal. The best thing you can do is try a few for size.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • grim168
    grim168 Posts: 482
    6'2" riding a 58cm ribble and a xl scott speedster
  • I'm 6"6 and ride a 61 Spez and a 64 Cube and i do feel streched on the 61
    Cube Peleton Race 2013
    Cube cross race cx 2016

I have a cycling problem work gets in the way!!!
  • Hawmaw
    Hawmaw Posts: 124
    Unamed2.0 wrote:
    Thanks a lot for the replies.

But I am thinking of going for a 58cm Felt F85:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/felt-f85-tiagra-2013/

It has a ETT of 580mm, and a stem length of 110mm. I figure I can change the stem (up to 130mm) if necessary. Is that a typical (and legitimate) thing to do?

Thanks again.

I'm 6'2" with a 33" inside leg and I have the 58cm Felt F85. I have actually shortened the stem to 90mm and put on compact bars. I also have the stem flipped up. This has possibly something to do with the fact I'm nearly 50 and not quite as supple as I once was and not able to bend and stretch like I once could :(
  • caad8
    caad8 Posts: 51
    I'm 6'3" (and a bit more if I stand up straight) and 34" inside leg - currently on a CAAD 8 at 63cm with a 100mm stem. Its a good fit for me. I still have a fair bit of seatpost showing though.

The TT bike is 58cm and 'cross is also 58cm, but they're a different kettle of fish.
  • Tom Dean
    OP just to clarify - you are asking the wrong question. None of the answers are relevant to you.

No doubt you can be fitted on a 58, but that doesn't mean it is your best option.
  • Tom Dean wrote:
    OP just to clarify - you are asking the wrong question. None of the answers are relevant to you.

No doubt you can be fitted on a 58, but that doesn't mean it is your best option.

Yes, I realise this. I think I mentioned in my opening post that I need to get the one that feels right, rather than estimating via geometry stats. My question was to get a feel for what other people rode, and try and gain some insight into the initially confusing world of road bike sizing. Swapping stems is just one example.

I'm a long way from anywhere that I can test-ride potential purchases, and when I can get to visit a bike shop I want to make sure I'm fully informed.

Thanks to everyone who's replied though, it's been very helpful.
  • Tom Dean
    The trouble with test rides, especially if you have limited opportunities to do them, is that the test bike is not going to be dialled in to your needs - you don't even know what fit is best for you. Thus the bike that feels best will be the one that happened to have the right stem on it, or whatever.
    Get a proper fit!
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    I'm 6ft 3 and own bikes ranging from 58cm to 61cm, largely depends on the frame geometry...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    As above it depends on the bike and your physical measurements / proportions.

I am just over 6ft6 and ride a 62cm Trek. Originally the front end was a bit too low and the reach too long. After fitting a few spacers and flipping the stem upright it is now what i wanted with less reach and less drop.

Bike fitting is a very personal thing and height is only a very rough starting point.