Carbon riders - just wondering

fatsmoker
fatsmoker Posts: 585
edited August 2013 in Road general
I just got back from a trip to see my mum, stayed the night, played football in the evening and did some painting for her this morning, so I had to take my footy gear and clothes for painting, plus usual bits and bobs. These all went in my pannier bag on the rack of my Secteur.
My question is do you carbon frame riders, where there are no rack mounts, ever do any light touring / overnighters where the journey length means a backpack is either not big enough or too small? And of so, how do you cope?
My round trip was only 62 miles, but having not played football nor done any painting for nealy a year I really felt the pain on the way home :D

Comments

• lawrences
    lawrences Posts: 1,011
    can't tell if you're trying to show off?

To answer your question I have a dog of a bike with panniers for slugging around.
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    I do all my audaxes on the Foil including 600k+ on the BCM. Ain't no thing.

Dolan do a carbon frame with rack mounts.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • lawrences
    lawrences Posts: 1,011
    You can get a pannier rack than attaches to the Qr's and brake eyelet with max payload of 50kg.
  • ju5t1n
    ju5t1n Posts: 2,028
    I use one of these for light touring/visiting friends with a change of clothes. It's called a 'bag-man' from Carradice which supports a saddle bag...

IMG_0235.jpg
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    I think the OP is making the assumption that we all only have one bike to ride. He might not have heard of N+1.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    markos1963 wrote:
    I think the OP is making the assumption that we all only have one bike to ride. He might not have heard of N+1.
    Exactly. Just take the other one.

Or if in commuting to work on the carbon one then just use a small backpack - it's not the end of the world To wear one for 30 mins
  • fatsmoker
    fatsmoker Posts: 585
    markos1963 wrote:
    Oh yeah.
  • I rode coast to coast in a day and a half using a Deuter Speedlite 20 litre rucksack,and it was only half full.Lightweight t-shirt,shorts and flip flops to change into at B+B,food,bike spares and cash/card.
    Looking back I could probably have got away with using a frame bag but the rucksack was fine.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    ju5t1n wrote:
    I use one of these for light touring/visiting friends with a change of clothes. It's called a 'bag-man' from Carradice which supports a saddle bag...

IMG_0235.jpg

Those now seem only to be available with extra supports that mount to the seat stays so I'm not so sure that they will work as well on Carbon frames anymore.

I use the Carradice SQR mount which is a quick release mount that fits onto the seat post - there is a weight limit with that one but for changes of clothes and other bits and bats etc it would be fine. I think it's great!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • meesterbond
    meesterbond Posts: 1,240
    lawrences wrote:

To answer your question I have a dog of a bike with panniers for slugging around.

Misread this and was wondering how you fit panniers to a dog.

I think there's a market there.
  • PhunkyPhil
    PhunkyPhil Posts: 143
    I didn't buy a carbon frame to carry stuff about with, I just want to go slow.
  • SoSimple
    SoSimple Posts: 301
    ju5t1n wrote:

IMG_0235.jpg

Reckon you could get 2 x 2.5l tins on Dulux in there with maybe a single roller and frame and then couple of brushes on the outside. You'd have to wear the footy boots and maybe attach them to the pedals with the laces?

Fill one bottle with water and the other with brush cleaner and try not to get them mixed up.
  • tonye_n
    tonye_n Posts: 832
    Grill wrote:
    I do all my audaxes on the Foil including 600k+ on the BCM. Ain't no thing.

Dolan do a carbon frame with rack mounts.
    No they don't.
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    lawrences wrote:

Pooch Panniers! they'd sell themselves!!

its like the modern day equivalent of the barrel of rum around the st bernard's neck!
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • stongle
    stongle Posts: 61
    Errr, buy a car.
    Dry - 2015 Parlee ESX
    Wet - 2013 Madone 7 Series
    Commuting & general abuse - Boardman AIR9.2s
    Carbon and electric everything. I've yet to get zapped and nothings melted (yet anyway)
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Chris Bass wrote:
    lawrences wrote:

Pooch Panniers! they'd sell themselves!!

its like the modern day equivalent of the barrel of rum around the st bernard's neck!

http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&docid=9YnBuQieJWwYwM&tbnid=Gwd315JBfc-CXM:&ved=0CAUQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bonniedogs.co.uk%2Fezydog-doxlock-c120%2Fdoxlock-dog-harness-side-pack-panniers-p1547&ei=qUYXUp_FOeOw0AWGq4HgDQ&bvm=bv.51156542,d.ZGU&psig=AFQjCNHGAoBjnG8_fdn7yTEk50tzT3xO-g&ust=1377343515816327

Already been done!