Winter tyre choice with the best compromise.

doug5_10
doug5_10 Posts: 465
edited September 2013 in Road buying advice
With winter approaching soon and an upcoming commute thanks to a new job, I will soon be thinking about winterising my bike (only one :( , employment may enable a best bike for next spring :) ) I'm thinking particularly about tyres. Currently run Pro4 SC up front and Pro3 Race on the rear (the previous front tyre) They are superb, no fairy visits at all this summer, but probably not best suited to winter/commuting. Once the rear is done, probably in a month or 2: plenty little nicks and starting to square off, I'm thinking of getting a pair of something more sturdy rather than just another matching Pro 4. I will still use the bike for training/leisure rides so puncture resistance shouldn't be to the detriment of everything else, ala Marathon Plus hosepipes etc.

Choices:

Zaffiros, Rubinos, Luganos, Lithons? Any of the cheaper 'Second Tier' tyres any good?

Pro 4 Endurance. I have an understanding they are just a tougher compound for greater mileage rather than improved puncture protection on the Pro 4 SC?

Open Paves? The green stripe will look horrendous with my colour scheme :wink:

Conti 4 Seasons or Gatorskins. Any real difference apart from better handling in the wet from the 4 seasons?

Or just be boring and get GP4000s, the same as everybody else!!

Opinions? Missed any? Looking forward to trying 25mm for the first time :)
Edinburgh Revolution Curve
http://app.strava.com/athletes/1920048

Comments

• drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Used to have GP4000S 23c on my Rourke, now got Open Pave (older 24c version with a single central stripe) and they are GREAT! It will get used over Winter but only when the weather is reasonable. A very nice tyre but doubt it will last as long as teh Contis, but that doesn't bother me.

Got GP4 Seasons 25c on the Condor used for wet/commuting/general winter duties. Quite a nice ride at 25c, much better than Gatorskins 23c that I had on it before.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,301
    None of the tyres mentioned is sturdy...
    If you want something sturdy get a touring tyre, the likes of Vittoria Randonneur. If you don't have the clearance for touring tyres, then resign to cuts and short life
    left the forum March 2023
  • samsbike
    samsbike Posts: 942
    Others included the schwalbe durano plus or if you are feeling brave the schwalbe marathon or marathon plus
  • doug5_10
    samsbike wrote:
    Others included the schwalbe durano plus or if you are feeling brave the schwalbe marathon or marathon plus
    I will still use the bike for training/leisure rides so puncture resistance shouldn't be to the detriment of everything else, ala Marathon Plus hosepipes etc.
  • ugo.santalucia
    doug5_10 wrote:
    samsbike wrote:
    I will still use the bike for training/leisure rides so puncture resistance shouldn't be to the detriment of everything else, ala Marathon Plus hosepipes etc.

So, why do you need a winter tyre?
  • doug5_10
    doug5_10 wrote:
    samsbike wrote:

I'm looking for the best compromise, because I only have one bike which will be jack of all trades. Durability and puncture resistance become more important for commuting and poorer road conditions. Whereas grip, ride comfort, weight and rolling resistance are still relatively important to an enjoyable training/weekend ride. These qualities are usually affected if riding a 'bombproof' (your favourite word Ugo! :wink: ) tyre.
  • ugo.santalucia
    doug5_10 wrote:
    doug5_10 wrote:
    samsbike wrote:

I'm looking for the best compromise, because I only have one bike which will be jack of all trades. Durability and puncture resistance become more important for commuting and poorer road conditions. Whereas grip, ride comfort, weight and rolling resistance are still relatively important to an enjoyable training/weekend ride. These qualities are usually affected if riding a 'bombproof' (your favourite word Ugo! :wink: ) tyre.

Get the Pave' then... they have good grip and average puncture resistance... they'll cut like mad after the first few hundred miles, but hey ho...
  • mikenetic
    mikenetic Posts: 486
    I've run Gatorskins, GP4 Seasons, Vittoria Randonneurs and Duranos.

The Randonneurs are the heaviest of the bunch, but crazy tough. I managed to ride over and break a pint glass (somehow) pulled a cm long shard of glass out but no punctures.

Duranos have good puncture resistance and wear. The missus runs them on her commuter/all-round bike, and to date has had zero punctures, over hundreds of miles of commuting, gravel pathing etc.

I've run the GP 4 Seasons year-round on my good bike, and on my commuter. They are a really good compromise. The 25s feel nice, roll well, don't wear too fast and I've only had 1 puncture in at least a couple of thousand miles.

Best way to look after winter tyres is to check them over every couple of weeks, flick out any flint/glass embedded in the tread and seal up nicks with a dab of superglue.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    michelin endurance or the Paves for me, wouldn't touch GPs personally
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    Conti 4s is a great tyre in my experience. I used all winter on the chiltern back roads and you don't pay much of a compromise for the puncture resilience. Seems to grip well in the cold and wet but I tend to go cautious at that point anyway so I've not really tested that.
  • ugo.santalucia
    mikenetic wrote:

The Randonneurs are the heaviest of the bunch, but crazy tough. I managed to ride over and break a pint glass (somehow) pulled a cm long shard of glass out but no punctures.

That's exactly my experience. In march I started commuting along the Grand Union Canal to avoid road traffic... there is a stretch around Hayes where a bunch of junkies enjoy smashing beer bottles and occasionally it is littered with broken glass. I have not had one single puncture in 5 months of commuting on the Randonneur and the number of cuts is very small, none of them is actually deep enough to get anywhere near the carcass.
    Perofrmance? Commuting times when I take the roads are unchanged and downhill seems to be faster than previous tyres, so the rolling resistance can't be too bad
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Durano Plus is about as tough as you get before you need to start looking at touring tyres like Marathons. GP4S are durable, feel a bit dead but are ridiculously expensive now considering I bought my last pair for £17 each - £39 for a 'training' tyre?
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • dgstewart
    dgstewart Posts: 252
    On my 2nd set of GP 4 Seasons now, and can't fault them as an all round tyre. Roll well, comfortable, easy enough to get on and off (hardly had to do it though). I ran my first pair into the ground, and they gave me so little problems I never really paid close attention to their condition until I finally punctured and noticed the carcass starting to show though, oops :o . Must have ridden 2,000 to 3,000 miles on them over two winters/springs plus wet days and only had one "normal" puncture prior to that.

1st set were 23mm and new ones are 25mm. Not a huge difference; in fact when I took the 23s off and held them side by side with the new 25s I couldn't tell them apart width-wise. Maybe the 23s had "spread" a bit with age, or maybe they take on a different profile/shape when inflated?
  • nawty
    nawty Posts: 225
    When I was looking for commuting tyres I went for Vredestein Tricomp Quattro (Quattro = 4 seasons) and they have been excellent, cheap from Ribble too.

The non-quatro version (same but without the sidewall protection) recently got 5* in Cycle Plus.

Not as comfortable as my Pave's but I am actually more confident in their grip (never had either slide though) and they don't cut up anywhere near as much. When they wear out I'll buy another set but in 25mm rather than 23mm.
    Cannondale CAAD 10 Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight Tiagra
  • teebs_123
    teebs_123 Posts: 357
    GP4 Seasons. 2,500 miles on mine and they're still pretty blemish free.
    Orbea Orca OMX DI2 MyO
    Kinesis 4s Di2
  • paul1000
    paul1000 Posts: 190
    Rubino pro 3, 150tpi all day long, quite supple and last for ages.
  • jimmas
    jimmas Posts: 50
    Gatorskins for me, only had them on for around 800miles but so far so good.
  • holiver
    holiver Posts: 729
    Continental Gator Hardshell? A pair came on some wheels I purchased and they seem very good.
  • LegendLust
    LegendLust Posts: 1,022
    Monty Dog wrote:
    Durano Plus is about as tough as you get before you need to start looking at touring tyres like Marathons. GP4S are durable, feel a bit dead but are ridiculously expensive now considering I bought my last pair for £17 each - £39 for a 'training' tyre?

What he said
  • mikenetic
    mikenetic Posts: 486
    The GP4S are too pricy at standard retail, but they do seem to get discounted a fair bit, think my last pair were £25 each. Good job really!
  • nawty
    nawty Posts: 225
    If you read this review they say they couldn't tell the Vredesteins and GP4S apart and the Vreds sell for £20!

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... p-11-44380
    Cannondale CAAD 10 Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight Tiagra
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Monty Dog wrote:

For how the OP is talking, Durano S should be fine. Certainly, anything from Schwalbe with a 'Plus' in the name isn't a best compromise. I'd go standard Durano at the most but I find the S rarely punctures without obvious user error!

I would never own a bike I hated enough to put Marathons on it!

I'd be tempted to try those Vredsteins though......
    Faster than a tent.......
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    nawty wrote:
    If you read this review they say they couldn't tell the Vredesteins and GP4S apart and the Vreds sell for £20!

Where?!?!
  • nawty wrote:
    When I was looking for commuting tyres I went for Vredestein Tricomp Quattro (Quattro = 4 seasons) and they have been excellent, cheap from Ribble too.

When they wear out I'll buy another set but in 25mm rather than 23mm.

You may find that hard as they only make them in 23mm.....
  • iPete wrote:
    nawty wrote:

Where?!?!

£21.56 each at Ribble if you spend over £35 ie: buy two to get that price each.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Thanks, just got there, google didn't throw up ribble, everywhere else has them at 35 each!

Ordering being placed...
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    When I bought my do it all / year round road bike 6 years ago at the suggestion of Epic I went for 25mm GP 4 Seasons. I got 4000 miles out of the rear and 5000 out of the front, and if you ignore the pinch flats as a result of not being arsed to check tyre pressures before riding, I only had 2 punctures, and one of those was through the sidewall. When they wore out I bought more of the same.

Having said all that, I don't have experience of any other tyres yet...
  • doug5_10
    So it seems the Conti vote goes to the 4 seasons, if only when I find them on offer!
    Still thinking of Pro 4 Endurance and Durano ('Plus' seems a bit overkill as stated above, but no 25mm version of the 'S')
    Also tempted by the Rubino Pro for VFM, any experiences of the 'Tech' version with sidewall protection?
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    I use the Marathon Plus as I have got 2 bikes and don't want to be faffing with punctures in the winter. In the past when I was using my summer bike in the winter I was using Rubino Pro which were very good, only got one or 2 punctures in 2 years. They weren't amazing in the wet though but there is a wet weather version (Tech) which was excellent though.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    doug5_10 wrote:
    So it seems the Conti vote goes to the 4 seasons, if only when I find them on offer!
    Still thinking of Pro 4 Endurance and Durano ('Plus' seems a bit overkill as stated above, but no 25mm version of the 'S')

Standard Durano can be had in 25mm. Irrc, the main weight saving is between Plus and Standard rather than Standard and S - so if I had to have 25mm, I wouldn't lose sleep over being forced to pick the standard ones. Odd they don't make 25mm S though. I just assumed they did!
    Faster than a tent.......