Thinking of upgrading (currently on Felt Z95 2012)

GuyWhitlock1993
GuyWhitlock1993 Posts: 14
edited August 2013 in Road general
Hi,

I've had my current bike for about a year now (Felt Z95) and I was thinking as I start entering more events and stuff it might be an idea to look into getting a better bike. I want to stick with the Felt Z series, but I was wondering whether a better bike would make much of a difference. Does it make you noticeably faster/require less effort compared to the Z95? And what sort of a step up is worth it? I don't really see much point in just going one up to the Z85, would going up to the Z6 be the best step? can't decide what to do about it and its driving me crazy!

Comments

• diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    edited August 2013
    Buying a 'better' bike will not make you faster per se and as to easier I think you are missing the point, it is never easy if you want to improve you pedal harder as you get fitter :).
    If you feel you want a new bike then get one and IMO get the one you can afford that fits you best regardless of make or price.
  • Upgrading wheels will make a big difference (assuming you still run the factory ones).

Do you notice any discernible flex at the bottom bracket when pedalling hard or in the headtube when descending?

I'd agree with the above though, ride more, train in a structured way, you'll soon wear out wheels and drivetrain on a entry level bike, thus justifying a new, better bike.
  • d10brp
    d10brp Posts: 70
    I just upgraded* from a Specialized Secteur Elite to a Scott CR1 Pro (Westbrook bargain frame) and I am noticeably quicker up the hills with the lighter set up. Knocked 7 minutes off my 19 mile commute PB on my first ride. As part of the upgrade I went from Tiagra shifters and below par Tektro brakes to a 105 groupset. Shifting is more responsive and the brakes are a massive improvement.

I also built the bike up from components which was a good experience, made me learn a lot about the bike, so consider that route.

* I say upgraded but I'm still going to keep the Secteur ... n+1
    Scott CR1 Pro
    Specialized Secteur Elite
  • I think my point may have come across wrong, the main reason for the change is generally wanting a better bike (z95 is very very entry level, and knowing now I DO want to continue cycling makes me want a better bike that is likely to last me longer). I'm not looking for an easy way to get faster, it's more because my aim is long distance sportives and multi day, so if having a better bike helps optimise the energy I use on the long days in the saddle it will be worth it. Wheels is something I was thinking about, but they'll end up costing at least half the price of the rest of the z95 put together lol
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    It sounds as if you really want a new bike so to reiterate get the one that fits and feels the best for your available budget there should be some 2013 bargains popping up about now so don't just limit yourself to one brand.
    Good hunting :)
  • hatch87
    hatch87 Posts: 352
    I was in a similar position at the beginning of the year. I had a trek 1.1 which had served me well for 2 years, but it was only 8 speed and the brakes were almost useless even with swiss stop pads. I kept telling myself I didn't need one as I'm not racing so any gains are meaningless in the search of fitness. But ultimately I wanted on so I got one lol.

The difference in feel is amazing, the acceleration almost sent me off the back of the bike lol, handling feels so much tighter which I didn't think was possible with a bike, and the brakes are supreme. My ultimate pace didn't really change much but I just feel so much more connected to the bike. Plus it looks fast :D
    http://app.strava.com/athletes/686217
    Come on! You call this a storm? Blow, you son of a bitch! Blow! It's time for a showdown! You and me! I'm right here! Come and get me!
  • pan280
    pan280 Posts: 88
    I was in a similar position back in January. I had a Felt Z85 and wanted to upgrade.
    I went for a carbon Ridley that i am currently really enjoying.
    Of course the bike feels different but it has a different geometry, much better wheels, and better groupset.
    I ride much faster now than in Jan but that is because I've spend more time riding my bike and have been training with a power meter.

I still have the Felt which i use for commuting, i've been logging my rides and i can see that it makes no difference which bike i am riding. I haven't done a thorough comparison cause my commute is only 3 miles and i ride with jeans and go through busy roads so don't want to push too hard.

But as others said if you want a new bike and can afford it then get it!

However, after about a month with the new bike you'll be wanting a new one, or a new set of wheels, or a power meter, or a coach, retul fit, register for the marmotte or .... for some of us it never ends!
  • hatch87
    hatch87 Posts: 352
    pan280 wrote:

However, after about a month with the new bike you'll be wanting a new one, or a new set of wheels, or a power meter, or a coach, retul fit, register for the marmotte or .... for some of us it never ends!

Oh its sooo true, Google is not my friend at times
    http://app.strava.com/athletes/686217
    Come on! You call this a storm? Blow, you son of a bitch! Blow! It's time for a showdown! You and me! I'm right here! Come and get me!