Specialized Roubaix SL4 Frame Size

am7
am7 Posts: 59
edited August 2013 in Road general
I will be buying blind and I am between sizes.
Please if you own this bike in a 52 or 54 size state your height (and inseam if you want) and your frame size with a general comment of how well it fits you. I am looking towards comfort not speed.
Depending on who I speak to each recommends a different size which is why I am not putting my measurements in. I am tired of the differing opinions and will buy whatever wins this poll (I realize it is not actually a poll). Please only serious answers as this is important. Thanks.

Comments

• unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    I have an Sl3 if that helps! I'm 5'6" on a good day. I was in your position until I test rode a 52 and it fitted like a glove. One of my other bikes is a 54 and I ended up putting a smaller stem on it. If I were in the middle I'd rather go a size below than above and feel too stretched out as a result.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Aah, just checked mine which is a 58 and I'm 6'2" with 34 inside leg, so no help at all I'm afraid ...
  • bernithebiker
    bernithebiker Posts: 4,148
    I'm 5'7 maybe 5'8, and I ride a 54 which is perfect for me, although I have a 130mm -17' stem and a lot of seatpost out, but that's about as racey as you can make it.

If you want racey, then a 54 will give you the length, 52 could feel slightly cramped.

I couldn't ride a 52, but I could get away with a 56.

(This is SWorks SL4, not Roubaix, but pretty similar geo).
  • dave02
    dave02 Posts: 325
    I went for the 54 as it gave me the option of extending the stem if i felt cramped, I am 5 10" with a 31 inside leg, I prefer a more upright position as i have back problems, but the 54 is ideal for me,
  • am7
    am7 Posts: 59
    Thank you for your replies. Still undecided :(
    I am 5 7" with a 32" inseam. Trouble is it not that simple as my arms are short and I also have back/neck chronic pain and not flexible at all. Knees also ruined but that's irrelevant. I will never get the perfect fit as ideally I need a 54 for my lower body and a 52 for my upper body. I made the mistake of going one size too small for my mountain bike to stay upright/comfy but it was unrideable, cockpit felt cramped, kept hitting my knees on the handle bars and my foot on the wheel so went from 16.5" to 18.5". At 18.5" lower body is fine but feel too stretched out, maybe my size is 17.5" or 18" anyway different manufacturers different geometry. If I was 5 8" I wouldn't even consider the 52 but at a smidge under 5 7" I really don't know. I won't be able to return this one.
  • am7 wrote:
    Thank you for your replies. Still undecided :(
    I am 5 7" with a 32" inseam. Trouble is it not that simple as my arms are short and I also have back/neck chronic pain and not flexible at all. Knees also ruined but that's irrelevant. I will never get the perfect fit as ideally I need a 54 for my lower body and a 52 for my upper body. I made the mistake of going one size too small for my mountain bike to stay upright/comfy but it was unrideable, cockpit felt cramped, kept hitting my knees on the handle bars and my foot on the wheel so went from 16.5" to 18.5". At 18.5" lower body is fine but feel too stretched out, maybe my size is 17.5" or 18" anyway different manufacturers different geometry. If I was 5 8" I wouldn't even consider the 52 but at a smidge under 5 7" I really don't know. I won't be able to return this one.

All perfect reasons to go to a bike shop and get properly fitted.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    All perfect reasons to go to a bike shop and get properly fitted.
    Indeed ... you may not get to try the exact frame you're going to buy - but you get to try a frame with the same geometry.
    For that amount of money I wouldn't guess ...
  • bernithebiker
    bernithebiker Posts: 4,148
    Get the 54, you can always put a short stem on it, and have not much seatpost out.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Get the 54, you can always put a short stem on it, and have not much seatpost out.

That's what I've done with my CR1. I'm not as bendy as I used to be, so didn't want loads of seatpost showing anyway. It might not look very Pro, but the Brooks saddle had already knocked that on the head anyway...