Clavicle surgery experiences?

Mikey23
Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
edited August 2013 in Road general
Had first follow up visit to fracture clinic today, five weeks after accident and three weeks after surgery. Everything seems to be going well. I Intend to start physio ASAP, have been on a static bike and done a little gentle running with no negative effects. I was wondering what experiences you guys might have had, what fitness strategies you used, how long it was before you got back on your bike and how it all worked out for you? Any input would be gratefully received as I'm anxious to get it right and be back to full fitness as soon as I can

Comments

• Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    I was back on a bike pretty quickly, a few weeks until I was on a trainer and probably 4/5 weeks until i was out on my bike doing low mileage, but my damage was mainly a snapped ligament.
    They screwed my clavical down to help it heal, this worked well until the screw forced its way through my skin, they then had to plate something, remove the screw then wrap the ligament through the screw hole. Works a treat now.
  • Mikey23
    Thanks for that ... I had a detached ligament too. Feeling so weak and washed out at the moment I can't contemplate getting back on the bike for some time
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    I got back on the turbo and went out for my first ride IIRC after I could manage a good hour and a half.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    I fractured my right clavicle 12 weeks ago, a complete break and the 2 parts were displaced. I went through a series of hospital visits where I get new x-rays showing it wasn't healing and had medical advice along the lines of 'it might still heal, please go away for another 6 weeks'. Eventually I saw a surgeon who looked at the x-ray and said it wouldn't heal and I'll need an operation and a bone-graft from my pelvis to help it heal. After surgery I'll be in a sling for 4 weeks and then there's another 2 months of recuperation before I'm 'back to normal' again. I have an operation booked in early Sep and the doctor estimated I could sit on a turbo after 4 weeks as long as I don't load it too much.

After the break I was on a turbo after 3 weeks and road riding again after 5 weeks and riding never seemed to affect the break or cause any pain. Sitting at a desk did hurt, strangely. I completed RideLondon 100 a couple of weeks ago with my bones wanging around and I now regularly ride 150 miles a week.

Did the operation hurt? I'm not looking forward to mine, but at least I won't have all the grazes and dizziness I had immediately after the crash.
  • Mikey23
    Yup I can relate to the crash feeling. I had blurred vision, couldn't breathe, hurt like heck, couldn't get up and thought I was going to die... Fortunately there were folks around to take charge and the nee nah was there within minutes.

Does it hurt? Surprisingly little as it happens. Never had a general op before but it seemed like I was instantly awake and sorted even though it was a 3 hour op. they pack the nerve so you get a period of about 12 hours when you're in a false reality. Then the pain starts to kick in while under obs in hospital but they are getting the meds right so that's ok. It's a bit like going back to the first few days only with a stable shoulder and now its only mildly uncomfortable. They will let you out after an overnight if there are no complications and then its just about putting your feet up. im a bit surprised how tired and lethargic im feeling. i think trauma does have that effect on the body. It does make me a little frustrated that I've had to go through it twice ... But the bone doc wouldn't do it first day with a punctured lung and can't really argue with that. It seems they deal with quite a few cyclists!!

Get in touch if there's owt you would like to chat through...

I did read somewhere that the bone graft makes the pelvis even more painful than the shoulder
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    Mikey23 wrote:
    I did read somewhere that the bone graft makes the pelvis even more painful than the shoulder
    That's what Dr Bones told me. Something to look forward to to take my mind off the shoulder I guess!