Mountains ahead! SRAM Triple Advice

Sherpa81
Sherpa81 Posts: 3
edited August 2013 in Road buying advice
I'm heading to the Pyrenees in the autumn and am considering fitting a triple to give me a greater range of gears.

I currently have a Boardman Team Carbon (2009 version) with a SRAM groupset.

I'd be grateful for any advice on what the best options are for getting a compatible triple.

Cheers

Comments

• robbo2011
    robbo2011 Posts: 1,017
    Sram don't do a triple, however they do a what they call WiFli which is basically a MTB style cassette with a mid-cage rear mech. You can buy a WiFli climbers kit which contains what you need to convert.
  • You should be able to get up anything on a 34-32
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • dnwhite88
    dnwhite88 Posts: 285
    You should be able to get up anything on a 34-32

Failing that walking would be faster
    "It never gets easier, you just go faster"
  • robbo2011 wrote:
    Sram don't do a triple, however they do a what they call WiFli which is basically a MTB style cassette with a mid-cage rear mech. You can buy a WiFli climbers kit which contains what you need to convert.

Thanks for this guys. Above sounds good, will leave me with 34-32 as my bail out option!
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    On another note saw the sram stuff yesterday on a mountain bike that's running a single chainring and an 11-40 cassette! The chainring and jockey wheels have alternate thick and thin teeth to fit the chainlinks perfectly and the mech has a sort of clutch/friction mechanism in it or something that stops the jockey wheel cage bouncing around! So sensible for mtbs. Clever.
  • Just equipped my new 3 peaks PX "dirty disco"cross bike with a 36/46 chainset and an 11-36 cassette.

Running SRAM red shifters,XO rear mech and X9 front mech

Only got it yesterday from planet x so yet to take it offroad/uphill but it shifts amazingly on the pootle rund the block. SRAM road and MTB are 1:1 on cable pull so are compatible unlike shimano,another reason to go to SRAM
    Focus Cayo Pro
    Cotic Soul custom
    Merida Cross 4
    Planet X Dirty Disco custom cyclocross
    Tern D8 clown bike
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    I went the Wifli route with a 12-32 cassette and to be honest it is ridiculously slow. The ratio between the gears is much wider too which isn't nice. I've gone back to an 11-26 preferring to just grit my teeth for those steep gradients where I have to go for the bail out gear.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.