2013 Giant Defy Advanced SL

AndyK2479
AndyK2479 Posts: 75
edited August 2013 in Road buying advice
Popped into the Giant store at St Paul's yesterday, mainly to enquire about release dates for 2014 models as the Defy Advanced 0 with 11 speed Di2 is on my next bike list.

Got into conversation with one of the staff and they have the 2013 Defy Advanced SL in my size, still boxed up, comes with Dura Ace 11 speed mechanical, ISP and Giants SLR-0 wheels, retails at £4999, sale price £3999 but I imagine there could be room for manoeuvre on that.

Tempted, any opinions, anyone ride one. Or someone could do me a favour and snap it up and put me out of my misery!!
It's size S by the way, I ride a Defy 1 in medium and I had to shorten the stem up.

Andy

Comments

• styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    Sick bike, get it bought.
  • Speak from experience?
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    No, but it's a five grand Giant reduced to four grand - it's bound to be good.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    "Defy Advanced 0 with 11 speed Di2 is on my next bike list"

If you've already decided that's what you want, why spend your money on something else? Doesn't matter how much of a bargain you think it is, you'll still be hankering after the electronic wizardry of Di2.
  • keef66 wrote:
    "Defy Advanced 0 with 11 speed Di2 is on my next bike list"

If you've already decided that's what you want, why spend your money on something else? Doesn't matter how much of a bargain you think it is, you'll still be hankering after the electronic wizardry of Di2.

I think you have hit the nail on the head with that comment!!
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    In the past I have made the mistake of buying things just because they were cheap. After the initial excitement of feeling you've saved money, you have to live with the thing and if it's not quite what you wanted it starts to nag away at you till you buy the thing you should've bought in the first place, only it's more expensive by then, and you find yourself trying to justify having two of something etc etc.

Now I keep a list of stuff I want and if I spot any of them at silly prices I buy them secure in the knowledge I won't regret the purchase. If I genuinely need something I'll happily pay whatever it costs, and often find these the most satisfying purchases of all.
  • ct8282
    ct8282 Posts: 414
    Yeah, but the Defy Advanced SL with Dura Ace is an epic bike!!

I can't see how anyone would regret buying that, period. The 2014 will surely only have Ultegra Di2 which of course isn't bad in anyway as Ultegra is superb, and the 2014 Ultegra looks like Dura Ace, but damn man the SL Giant frames with ISP are epic.

I ride a TCR Advanced with full Ultegra and my fantasy machine is the TCR Advanced SL 2. In your shoes I'd go with the 2013 model, get the better frame and Dura Ace every day of the week. But, I'm not in your shoes.

My best advice. Go with what your heart tells you. I bought a camera lens for £4000 because I just wanted it, big time. In reality its huge, heavy and it's my least used lens and I could easily live without it, but blow me when I do use it the pictures it produces are breathtaking. I could have bought 2 lenses that I was also interested in and were the smart choice, but the big bugger was calling my name. It's the one I wanted so that's the one I got and I don't regret it. Like you say, I would have been pining for it if I had gone with the other lenses.

10 out of 10 mate.... http://www.giant-shoreham.com/news/arti ... .10/16894/
  • I know what you are saying, the SL is a lovely looking thing as well, I believe the 2014 model will be Dura Ace Di2 or mechanical Ultegra(been looking at the Giant US and Australia website, all same specs and colour schemes)

Could always get Ultegra Di2 at a later date if I was really that keen to get it.
    Been on touch with the store, no movement from listed sale price.....yet.
  • I bought a defy advance sl0 at the start of the year and can honestly say it has been fantastic. It is very light and super smooth. I have completed the Fred Whitton and the coast to coast in a day on it. The only scary bit was watching the shop cut the seat post. They must have measured it 20 times before the saw came out!
  • Matt07790 wrote:
    I bought a defy advance sl0 at the start of the year and can honestly say it has been fantastic. It is very light and super smooth. I have completed the Fred Whitton and the coast to coast in a day on it. The only scary bit was watching the shop cut the seat post. They must have measured it 20 times before the saw came out!

What can you compare it too comfort wise? I'm on a 2011 Scott CR1, nice bike but looking for a new one this year, looking at BMC GF01, Trek Domane and a few others, including the Defy Advanced 0 2014, when they released.

The ISP also worries me, I know there is some adjustment post cutting, but I would want to make sure that fitting I would get was bang on!!
  • Hi
    I've just bought a Defy Advanced SL 2, the basic model, also an amazing deal I couldn't resist, and believe me it is incredibly comfortable AND FAST it does everything I want - cycling weekly 10/10 , last week funnily enough.
    I could easily imagine the SL 0 is just sublime - buy it as that is a really good price and I know numbers in the UK available are really low!!

Cheers
    IM
  • Oh and about 20mm of adjustment in height using spacers on the ISP if needed, just get your LBS to do the chop, if they get it wrong then tell them to poke it!!