Numb / dead feet

ianeverton
ianeverton Posts: 231
edited August 2013 in Road general
Is this just a matter if ill fitting shoes ?

Comments

• fatsmoker
    fatsmoker Posts: 585
    no.
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    Maybe.
  • navrig
    navrig Posts: 1,352
    Could be.

Could be thick socks.

Could be hot spot at cleat due to too much flex in the sole.

Could be cleat is not directly under the ball of your foot.

Then again.

Might not be.
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    Doing the straps up too tight to make up for them being a poor fit?
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Gangrene? :shock:
  • I had the same - turned out to be cleat position..

It could also be shoes up too tight, try loosen your shoes next time you are out, if that doesn't help look at where your cleats are. It might be worthwhile visiting someone that offers a bike fit as it is usually part of the service, it shouldn't take too long and should be reasonable in terms of cost.
  • mechanism
    mechanism Posts: 891
    It might sound a bit daft, but I think blocking up the vent hole in the bottom of my Shimano shoes helped me.
  • No.

Sounds like youre either tightening up your shoes too much or your cleat position is out.

Remember, when you initially do you shoes up your feet are cold compared to how hot they will be during a ride. So dont do them up tight at all, you only need them done up enough so they dont fall off or the heel rides up. Any tighter than that and your feet will swell during a ride then the pressure of the shoes starts cutting circulation down.

If its the cleat then you need to re-position it. You can get dead feet if the cleat position is out simply through forcing your foot to operate at an angle its not meant to over a period of time. Just try holding a book above your head and waving it about for 2hrs then see what happens to your arm.

So try those two things first.
  • ianeverton
    ianeverton Posts: 231
    Many thanks, will do
    No.

Sounds like youre either tightening up your shoes too much or your cleat position is out.

Remember, when you initially do you shoes up your feet are cold compared to how hot they will be during a ride. So dont do them up tight at all, you only need them done up enough so they dont fall off or the heel rides up. Any tighter than that and your feet will swell during a ride then the pressure of the shoes starts cutting circulation down.

If its the cleat then you need to re-position it. You can get dead feet if the cleat position is out simply through forcing your foot to operate at an angle its not meant to over a period of time. Just try holding a book above your head and waving it about for 2hrs then see what happens to your arm.

So try those two things first.
  • Wiggle your feet around a bit more?!
  • sigorman85
    sigorman85 Posts: 2,536
    Don't clinch your toes when riding you probably don't even realise your doing it I had the same problem and got told that I was clinching
    When i die I just hope the wife doesn't sell my stuff for what I told her I paid for it other wise someone will be getting a mega deal!!!

De rosa superking 888 di2