cyclists egged and punched

the playing mantis
the playing mantis Posts: 2,129
edited August 2013 in Road general
http://www.essexchronicle.co.uk/Married ... story.html

yet more anti cyclist morons, then again maybe they were fellow cyclists affronted by there team jerseys or the bloke wearing kom jersey and kom helmet.

Comments

• estampida
    estampida Posts: 1,008
    and if they had a helmet cam?

police / cps would choose not to prosecute at a guess
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    to be fair i've had people throw eggs at me whilst i've been walking along the pavement before so it might just be a case of tw@ts in a car causing trouble rather than specifically targeting cyclist, it might just have been oportunistic?
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • isimba
    isimba Posts: 44
    I might have also thrown eggs when I was younger. Just because I was bored and yeah well I was young.
  • djm501
    djm501 Posts: 378
    Hmm, well yeah, but I bet you didn't inflict a punch like she received on anyone - or at least I hope not - I think that is a different level frankly.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    If someone punched me like that, I would probably get very angry and wouldn't be held resopnsible for my actions if I gota hold of them. I bet my cycle shoes really hurt when I kick'em in the ribs...scum like that should be shot on sight.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    bloody hell, wtf? I mean, really? whatever next?

It's getting worse imo ...
  • Absolute morons
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    I bet the cops know where to look for this guy. The description is pretty obvious.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    drlodge wrote:
    If someone punched me like that, I would probably get very angry and wouldn't be held resopnsible for my actions if I gota hold of them. I bet my cycle shoes really hurt when I kick'em in the ribs...scum like that should be shot on sight.

I'm with you drlodge, they should be shot on sight.

Unfortunately that will never happen and sadly if you retaliated at all the authorities would be on the scumbags side.

It's a strange world we live in lol
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    estampida wrote:

How do you work that one out then? What an unfounded sweeping statement. :roll:
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • philthy3 wrote:
    estampida wrote:

Judging by how the police and courts deal with drivers who kill cyclists with their cars I wouldn't say it's an unfounded statement, sadly.
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,467
    In this case there are two victims, so corroborating evidence, clear evidence of injury and some media attention - let's hope this leads to a successful prosecution and that the sentencing is used to set an example. Too many incidents like this don't lead to prosecution. It's good at least that the media is reporting it and taking it seriously.

Although the consequences for the victims are less serious, this isn't at all comparable to cases of causing death through dangerous driving where there is no actual intent to kill or injure. This is a clear case of assault, the police can't justify not prosecuting provided they catch the perps and there is evidence.
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    philthy3 wrote:
    estampida wrote:

Judging by how the police and courts deal with drivers who kill cyclists with their cars I wouldn't say it's an unfounded statement, sadly.

Google "mens rea" and then "actus reus" and you might understand the difference between a moment of inattention by a careless motorist leading to a catastrophic result due to the luck of the draw and a deliberate assault on a person by a bunch of idiotic scum bags. Very different things in law and in life.
  • blurrr
    blurrr Posts: 8
    A few weeks ago I was squirted in the face with a super soaker by a 4 year old in a white van. His dad put him up to it I suspect, who slowed down so he could get a good aim.
  • isimba wrote:
    I might have also thrown eggs when I was younger. Just because I was bored and yeah well I was young.

Me too I'm afraid. Although never at cyclists, joggers or dog walkers. Local chavs were open season though. Oh how I miss those halcyon days.
  • neeb
    Eggs should only be thrown at politicians, they are trained for it.
  • jeannot18
    jeannot18 Posts: 720
    Bloody hell, this is where I cycle most of the time. This is pretty scary. The law must start giving some harsh punishment to anyone aggressing a cyclist/pedestrian this way. Make an example of it, publicize it on the paper/TV/Social media or whatever.
    JC
    Pédale ou crève
    Specialized Elite Allez with 105
    Rockrider 8.1 : )
  • frisbee
    frisbee Posts: 691
    jeannot18 wrote:
    Bloody hell, this is where I cycle most of the time. This is pretty scary. The law must start giving some harsh punishment to anyone aggressing a cyclist/pedestrian this way. Make an example of it, publicize it on the paper/TV/Social media or whatever.
    JC

If you attacked someone with a gun you wouldn't be allowed to own a gun again, a car can arguably do more damage...
  • diy wrote:
    I bet the cops know where to look for this guy. The description is pretty obvious.

really? coming from the area it would be a needle in haystack imo. can you elaborate?
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    I also live a couple of miles away and things like this just don't normally happen in this area. It is relatively crime free and very cycling friendly. I strongly suspect that these people were not from the Hanningfield/Great Baddow area.

I have sent the article to all of my biking mates and we will do our best to look out for the vehicle. One of my cycling buddies works with the woman who was punched so we have an extra incentive to help catch them.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • my area too, but crime figures are irrelvant. these are not 'criminals' in the normal meaning. i disagree and would suggest they are local, as only locals would know the resovoir and the stock/hanningfield, baddow area in general is a popular weekend road cycling spot. also a top end navara full of oiks would fit in well with the demographics in the area too.

these vehicles are 10 a penny too so it would be difficult to be sure who it was without a reg number.

i think i may have passed the couple in question on saturday morning coming the other way (although they were some minutes apart), as i think the woman was in pink saxo bank kit and the bloke was in kom kit, so its good they havent stopped because of this, if it was them.
  • What is it with youths and their attitude towards cyclists? Why do they see us as a source of amusement? It's not just youths in cars. I've had youths just walking the other side of the road bellow some unintelligible abuse at me for no apparent reason! :roll:

I liken them to apes, primates. Their minds are very simple and go no further than to satisfy their most basic instincts to survive; to sleep, to eat, to shag and to breed more chavs! F^cking twats! >:(
  • fatsmoker
    fatsmoker Posts: 585
    I liken them to apes, primates. Their minds are very simple and go no further than to satisfy their most basic instincts to survive; to sleep, to eat, to shag and to breed more chavs! F^cking twats! >:(

That's a bit insulting to apes.
  • You're right. Apes possess intelligence and empathy. How about something much less evolved like the lowest form of life, perhaps bacteria. Yes, that's more befitting of today's youth.
  • drlodge
    fatsmoker wrote:

That's a bit insulting to apes.

Yeh, to quote from a good film...to call them stupid would be a insult to stupid people :D
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • drlodge
    Reminds me of this photo!

please-do-not-reproduce.jpg
    Find me on Strava
  • neeb
    Stupidity, testosterone and defensiveness as a result of a dimly realised awareness of one's own stupidity is a deadly cocktail. Especially when mixed with alcohol. The sale of alcohol to people with an IQ of less than 85 should probably be banned...
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Words escape me.

I simply cannot understand why a man would punch a woman.
    I cannot understand why anyone would punch a complete stranger, who's done nothing to them.
    I cannot understand why anyone would punch a cyclist.

Just seems completely cowardly too.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • jeannot18
    jeannot18 Posts: 720
    drlodge wrote:
    Reminds me of this photo!

please-do-not-reproduce.jpg

:D
    Remind of a mate, many years ago left a note on someone's car that wasn't parked properly. The note said, and I quote "If you sh@g your wife/girlfriend like you park your car I feel sorry for her, here is my telephone number if you need help in that department", he actually left his real number but the person didn't call. I don't why he assumed that the driver was a bloke but I have to admit it made my chuckle at the time.
    J
    Pédale ou crève
    Specialized Elite Allez with 105
    Rockrider 8.1 : )
  • I liken them to apes, primates. Their minds are very simple and go no further than to satisfy their most basic instincts to survive; to sleep, to eat, to shag and to breed more chavs! F^cking twats! >:(

Whilst I agree with your outrage TheSmithers I had to laugh reading this at the same time as looking at a picture of you with 2 Bananas sticking out of your gob. :mrgreen:
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul