Forum home Road cycling forum Road buying advice

Forever Bike

roktrokt Posts: 493
edited August 2013 in Road buying advice
Just out of interest what would your "forever bike" be ???

• asprillaasprilla Posts: 8,440
    The current one, until the next one comes along.

Theoretically my custom Ti frame is my 'forever' bike but I've also just bought a Cervelo S1 having sold one three years ago. I missed riding it so much.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • marcusjbmarcusjb Posts: 2,412
    I'd hate the thought of a forever bike. Whilst I don't change bikes very often, the process of designing and specifying everything is just too much fun.

I can see me using my current main bike for many, many years yet - but not forever.
  • rubertoerubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Ritte Snob (Stainless Steel),

But as everyone says, all bikes are forever...
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • I'd like to think it would be my Colnago Master. It'll certainly outlast the rest.
  • drlodgedrlodge Posts: 4,826
    My current one

9469375450_742076c273_o.jpg

I might be tempted to buy a racier carbon framed bike for all out speed (thus obeying the n+1 rule), but this one will likely do me until I die.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • Picking mine up today...Pinarello Paris with full SR EPS.
    Cube Agree GTC
  • Monty DogMonty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I would go for something along the lines of a Moots RSL or something lovingly sculpted in Cinelli XCr - maybe a Pegoretti Responsorium? Thinking about this myself as I'm getting to the 5-0 and dreaming of something that I'll likely be riding for the next 10-15 years. The problem with the bike industry is they deliberately build-in obsolescence in the hope that folks continually upgrade - so it will probably not involve electronic shifters whereas Super Record mechanical will still be around for years, like the parts on my 1980s Gios.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • slowbikeslowbike Posts: 8,498
    My current bike is my Forever bike ...

I'll change the bar tape, tyres, chain, cassette, rings over time
    I might upgrade the crankset & wheels
    The handlebars, saddle, seatpost and stem might get changed eventually
    And obviously the frame would need upgrading ...

but it's the same bike ... ;)
  • trek_dantrek_dan Posts: 1,366
    Colnago C59 (got to be Nero colourway) with 11 speed mechanical Super Record, Deda finishing kit, set of Bora Tubs for fast days and Shamal clinchers for training. Can only dream.
  • Shaun67Shaun67 Posts: 219
    A Ti or stainless steel frame with Campagnolo Athena or even Chorus. Carbon fork, bar, stem & seat post and a
    nice set of wheels, but not too sure which. Have I forgotten anything.... :D
  • Shaun67Shaun67 Posts: 219
    Yes I have, a Fizik Arione to put my bum on....
  • drlodgedrlodge Posts: 4,826
    Shaun67 wrote:
    A Ti or stainless steel frame with Campagnolo Athena or even Chorus. Carbon fork, bar, stem & seat post and a
    nice set of wheels, but not too sure which. Have I forgotten anything.... :D

Yes, you want Super Record, not Chorus!
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • mrolimroli Posts: 3,622
    Asprilla wrote:
    I've also just bought a Cervelo S1 having sold one three years ago. I missed riding it so much.
    Are you talking about the older Al framed soloist? I've just got mine back from Condor having been knocked off of it and having it damage assessed and fixed - I don't think I've ever "missed" a bike so much!
  • cyclecliniccycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    No bike is forever as your needs change over time.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • asprillaasprilla Posts: 8,440
    mroli wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:
    I've also just bought a Cervelo S1 having sold one three years ago. I missed riding it so much.
    Are you talking about the older Al framed soloist? I've just got mine back from Condor having been knocked off of it and having it damage assessed and fixed - I don't think I've ever "missed" a bike so much!

Indeed. From the moment I sold my first one I needed another, even though that first one was a size too small.

It's the only bike I've ever named and she was called Lee after Maggie Gyllenhaal's character in Secretary; every time I rode her she begged for a good thrashing. The one I've just got is a 2007 grey anodised one. It's lovely and I can't wait to get out on her.

A little voice in the back of my head is telling me to replace my Scott with an S2......
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX