Castelli bib short sizing vs Mavic?

luv2ride
luv2ride Posts: 2,367
edited August 2013 in Road buying advice
After some advice on Castelli bib short sizing. I can see that this question has been posed a number of times but always with a spread of answers with some saying go 2 sizes up, 1 size up or they are true to size :?

I currently use Mavic bibs shorts (and bib knickers) in an International Medium (UK small), and find I'm the same size in their jerseys and jackets. Recently bought a Castelli Velocissimo Team short sleeve jersey in a medium and its a great fit. Looking to rider to matching Velocissimo bib shorts but unsure whether to go Medium or Large. I'm 5'8 and a bit, 33" waist and 37" chest.

Can anyone provide a direct comparison of Castelli bib sizing with Mavics? cheers
Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...

Comments

• sub4
    sub4 Posts: 14
    I'm 5'8", 30 inch waist. The size chart said I should be size small so (in the absence of any mediums on the website) I went for small. Pleased I did as they fit nicely. One thing, the legs are long. Quite long, right down to the knees. Chatting to someone else wearing Castelli, they were in agreement. These were the nanoflex shorts btw & they've been fantastic on wet rides. The seat pad is excellent, especially since this isn't their top of the range.
  • luv2ride
    Thanks sub4. Interesting to hear about the leg length. My current Mavic sprint shorts are a nice length, but not sure about the Ergo 3d pad. Used to think it was great but do get a sore ar*e @ 40 miles. This after trying various saddles. Hence thinking of going for a different short/pad. Ended up ordering Medium and Large so we'll see...
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • luv2ride
    So, both the Mediums and Large Velocissimo Team bib shorts have arrived. Couldn't get into the medium pair so they've already gone back! The large are proper tight, but not uncomfortably so. Not sure whether to try the XL (but going to Mallorca on Saturday so don't have much time to turn deliveries around). Only issue is that the stitching on the front of the large seems quite taut, and isnt double-stitched. Ive read that Castelli are supposed to be tight, but should the stitching look 'pulled'? To recap, I'm 174cm tall with 95cm chest and 84cm waist (5'8" and 37" chest and 33" waist).

cheers...
  • tonye_n
    tonye_n Posts: 832
    Luv2ride wrote:
    So, both the Mediums and Large Velocissimo Team bib shorts have arrived. Couldn't get into the medium pair so they've already gone back! The large are proper tight, but not uncomfortably so. Not sure whether to try the XL (but going to Mallorca on Saturday so don't have much time to turn deliveries around). Only issue is that the stitching on the front of the large seems quite taut, and isnt double-stitched. Ive read that Castelli are supposed to be tight, but should the stitching look 'pulled'? To recap, I'm 174cm tall with 95cm chest and 84cm waist (5'8" and 37" chest and 33" waist).

cheers...
    OK... I am 172.5 cm height, 38" chest, 32" waist. I use Large in all 3 of my Castelli bibs (Velocissimo Due and Free Aero).
    While all 3 are quite a 'snug' fit (as stretch lycra is meant to be), the seams are in no way stretched to unduly stressed.
    Sure you measurment of 33" waist is not a tad conservative? :wink:
    Or perhaps you have very meaty thighs.

In anycase I would suggest sticking with the xl.
    If you get the miles in then you should fit better in the bibs in no time at all.
  • luv2ride
    Thanks Tonye_n

Keeping the large as felt increasingly comfy in them when trying them on. Just measured waist again and defo 32"-33", and also wearing 32" skinny jeans so not meaty thighs as such. XL might have been a better fit but 2 weeks cycling in 34 degree heat in Mallorca should put paid to another few lbs! cheers

Went for quick spin in them last night and the Kiss3 pad seems great...
  • Nick_M
    Nick_M Posts: 58
    I think the XL would be too big for you. I am 6' tall with 32.5" waist and find Castelli bibs in L are a great fit. I can wear the XL but they are a bit too relaxed and crease up too much on the back. If you are buying from Wiggle or similar, you can always order two different sizes and return the ones that don't fit. Have fun in Mallorca!