new rear hub for 2012 Trance X3

sandy771
sandy771 Posts: 368
edited August 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
I have the above bike which has Giant S-xc2 rims and i think (from an online spec) gaint tracker sport hubs.

Chap in a lbs looked at it a while back and said that the free hub was on its way out and would need replacing soon.

I have had some problems with un-asked for gear changes (new cassette and chain) and on examination I can see that the cassette wobbles quite a lot. I understand that there should be some play but this is quite a lot. With the wheel in the frame the wheel is solid indicating (to me and I know V little) that the cup and cone bearings are nicely adjusted.

So it looks like the free hub needs replacing and I wondered what I need to do to do this? I have also been told that if I change the hub I will need to change the spokes - this seems odd to me, but as I said I know bugger all.

Any ideas?

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Is the freehub wobbling or the cassette loose on the freehub?

Freehubs can have replaceable bearings as well....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • sandy771
    Thanks.

The I have tightened up the cassette so think it is the freehub!
  • You can go to a Giant dealer with your frame number and they can order you a new freehub, however if it's on it's way out, I would swap the whole hub for a Shimano one which will be easier to get parts for, or something like a Hope/DT Swiss hub.
  • sandy771
    Thanks - what is involved in swapping a hub out?

Have removed the wheel and cassette but have not had time to start looking at the hub itself.
  • Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    Before you write the freehub body off .

Check the outer gear cables are long enough and free to move, if they're too short or cable tied to the frame too tightly suspension movement can cause them to go slack (be pulled out of cable stops) and you will suffer ghost shifting.