Planet XLS or Boardman CX Pro?

jimbocaz
jimbocaz Posts: 2
edited August 2013 in Road buying advice
I need some advice from those in the know.

I am in a luck situation to purchase a new winter bike and have decided on a cyclocross for many reasons.

I test rode a Boardman CX Pro today and was really impressed. I had up until this point thought of getting a Planet X XLS. And advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• springtide9
    springtide9 Posts: 1,731
    jimbocaz wrote:

I am in a luck situation to purchase a new winter bike and have decided on a cyclocross for many reasons.

I test rode a Boardman CX Pro today and was really impressed. I had up until this point thought of getting a Planet X XLS. And advice would be greatly appreciated.

I've just ordered the XLS, but from what I've read that they will both make great winter bikes. The other option was the Kinesis Crosslight Pro6

The only issue I can see with the XLS is obviously no mudgard bosses (if that's a problem). For the price the XLS seems better value being carbon (and lighter: 9.8kg vs 8.1kg). I ordered the XLS with 28mm Conti 4 Season tyres so should still ride pretty fast, but with a bit more give than 24mm.

Whether it actually weighs 8.1kg is another story. And one more (disappointing) fact is the the XLS comes with a PF30 adapter (and standard GXP chainset) - rather than native '30'
    Simon
  • You planning on racing or just heavy duty winter stuff?

Also, the spec says SRAM rival chainset but the picture shows FSA?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • springtide9
    springtide9 Posts: 1,731
    Also, the spec says SRAM rival chainset but the picture shows FSA?

The specification with PX bikes changes with what they have in stock. I believe they negotiate a good price on a batch of stock and build bikes based on their stock (to keep costs down)

The current XLS builds appear to be using SRAM Rival chainsets (and a mixture of other components, with mainly 'Force' gearing)
    Simon
  • mpie
    mpie Posts: 81
    jimbocaz wrote:

Out of curiosity, why the XLS and not the Dirty Disco?