Increased fork length 10-20mm Scott Spark 40

Cjmc
Cjmc Posts: 13
edited August 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Folks

I have a heavily component upgraded Scott Spark 40 and I'd appreciate any input into my plans to change my Rock Shox Reba RL fork 120mm twin lock out to a Fox 32 float RL 130mm or a DT Swiss XMM 140mm. I use the bike for XC 40% / Trail 40% / AM 20%!

I was considering buying a Scott Genius LT 30 but I love the lightness of the spark. I don't seem to have the confidence with the short travel on some of the trickier and steeper sections of trails / mountains and was thinking an easy solution might be to increase slight the travel.

I'm aware of the issues this might cause to the set up and dynamics of the bike but I have an adjustable bottom bracket that can partially compensate this and I plan to get a shorter stem (60-80mm from current 110m) as well as a wider riser bar (680mm to 710mm and 15 degrees to 30 degrees)!

Does any know if this will work ok. I don't plan to change rear shock. Geometry for the bike is as below for my size large

http://www.scott-sports.com/us/en/products/221693/

Many thanks in advance
Chris

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    It will work, but might invalidate your warranty. I'd contact Scott.
  • Cjmc
    Cjmc Posts: 13
    Yeah you're right. Scott says invalidates warranty. I'll have a think about it. 130mm fox float might make very little difference anyway
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Rather have the RS anyway.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Cjmc wrote:
    I don't seem to have the confidence with the short travel on some of the trickier and steeper sections of trails / mountains and was thinking an easy solution might be to increase slight the travel.
    I'd wager it's not the short travel that's causing a lack of confidence, but the overall geometry of the bike. Longer travel bikes (well, bikes intended for more freeridey kind of riding, anyway) don't just have longer legs, they are arranged differently as well.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    True, but freeridey type bikes tend to be longer/lower/slacker, fitting a longer travel fork ticks 2 of those boxes.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Not really. Sure, it slackens the head angle, but also raises the BB, changes the weight distribution, and lengthens the front centre, without increasing rear "chainstay" length.
    It's not really the same thing.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Not quite, but then some FR bikes keep a shorter rear length to make the bike easier to pop anyway, I do accept the BB height will increase though.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.