Replacement shock troubles

JDRfive
JDRfive Posts: 72
edited July 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all,

Maybe a stupid question here but i've tried researching this already and I'm getting many mixed responses. I have a Kona Dawgma with a i2i/stroke length of 200x50mm, and a leverage ratio of 3:1, giving 150mm of rear travel. Basically, the shock has exploded and I need a replacement, and I have potentially found one. However, the i2i is only 190mm but the stroke length is the same. I understand this means I will get the same travel but the shorter i2i will slacken the head angle/drop the bb. This would be okay if it just changed it a little, but my question is will a 10mm shorter i2i completely mess up my geometry or just slacken it a little?

Cheers!
Life's too short to be boring.

09 Kona Dawgma
08 Orange 224

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    it can also mean your rear wheel will hit your seat tube and saddle.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    10mm difference will make a big difference, since it's multiplied through the linkage. Easiest way to see exactly what it would do is to remove your shock (or one end and pivot it out of the way), then lift the rear wheel (or let the bike sag) until you've got a measurement of 190mm between the shock mount centres, and that will show you what the bike would sit like.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    More importantly simulate an i2i of 140mm and see if the rear tyre still has room to turn!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    How much are you looking to spend onthe shock? 200x50 is a common size and lots can be had cheap. Brand new RP23s are only £180.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    The Rookie wrote:
    More importantly simulate an i2i of 140mm and see if the rear tyre still has room to turn!

Aye, that too.