Forum home Road cycling forum Road general

FORS

Bar ShakerBar Shaker Posts: 2,313
edited September 2013 in Road general
I'm not sure how many of you in the London area know about this, or what you can do to help.

FORS is Freight Operator Recognition Scheme and is a way of bringing greater awareness of cyclists to the drivers of commercial vehicles in London. It is one of Boris' main drives to make London's roads safer for cyclists and should be encouraged. To be accredited, companies must fit cameras on the left hand side of large vehicles, fit better mirrors, fit lenses that let them see down on their left hand side or fit bike detection systems so the driver is alerted if a bike creeps up the left when the vehicle is waiting in traffic/at the lights.

The other part of FORS is a driver education programme, explaining how cyclist collisions occur and how to avoid them.

All of this is to be congratulated and my company, like many others, are proud to be signed up.

If you work in or around London, what you can do is make sure your company's suppliers only use FORS accredited transport. If you are a purchaser or can speak to your purchasers, ask them to enforce a FORS only policy.

If your company delivers, make sure they sign up for the scheme.

If all of London's lorries become FORS and it saves one life, it will be worth it.

Please try to help.

Our vehicles only supply our own sites so I have no commercial interest in this, I just think it is a good scheme.
Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
Boardman FS Pro

• Mikey23Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Excellent thanks for sharing
  • lawrenceslawrences Posts: 1,011
    Sounds like a great initiative. It seems transport companies have finally realised there is no such thing as an unavoidable accident.

Is this technology fitted on London buses?
  • unixnerdunixnerd Posts: 2,864
    A great idea, but a lot of these seem to be London biased. I wish they could rolled out nationally too.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • Bar ShakerBar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    Just as an update on this -

Last week it was announced that FORS accreditation will now be law in London and I expect it will be rolled out across the country, once there is the infrastructure to test and certify the many thousands of users of vehicles over 3.5t in the rest of the country.

We are looking to increase our own FORS registration from the basic level Bronze standard, up to the Gold highest standard. Amongst other requirements is that our drivers spend a day cycling around London. This is an excellent idea! We will also need to fit vehicle cameras that can see cyclists on the left of a vehicle that may be waiting to turn left. In researching this, I came across a very scary video.

Watch this and imagine that this lorry is at lights waiting to turn left!!

www.backwatch.co.uk/safety/

At present there is no way of enforcing this on foreign lorries but I imagine Boris will come up with something, this is too important not to. In the meantime, be wary of all lorries, FORS or not but be very wary of foreign registered lorries and non FORS lorries.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • unixnerdunixnerd Posts: 2,864
    Amongst other requirements is that our drivers spend a day cycling around London.

If all able bodied drivers were forced to do something like that it would make a huge difference.
    We will also need to fit vehicle cameras that can see cyclists on the left of a vehicle

I've worked on software for machine vision. It's not hard these days to take such a camera's output and generate a warning if it thinks the road is occupied in a given spot, this could easily generate a warning on the dashboard. The camera relies on the driver looking at the output, an automated system would reduce the reliance on this and make mistakes less likely. These driver aids such as side cameras are a young field and there is much work to be done. The bulk price of good quality cameras is far lower than you might think.

Progress is being made now in the attitude to road safety that wouldn't have been credible a decade ago.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!