Switch to TT bars or not ?

polyx
polyx Posts: 112
edited July 2013 in Road general
Hi cyclist fellows,
Doing (and enjoying!) time trials recently, I've put some aero clip extensions to drop bars of my cervelo s2.
I'm enjoying TT position that much that considering going to full aero bar with bar end shifters as going back and forth from aero bars to shifters pisses me off a bit.

However, my main TT route is a bit hilly (Richmond Park) and I'm on the hoods while climbing and shifting gears quite a lot during hills. Being not a superb climber, thinking of not being able to switch gears during hills (or still can I from bar ends?) somehow puts me off of getting full aero bars. I understand it's a bit of a trade off, but really wondering what would you guys say.

Also, after seeing Froome tackling hilly parts of the course with clip-ons I need really think about going full aero twice. :)

My current drop bars are rubbish anyway, and I'm going to either get aero bull horns or just swith to another drop bar (probably 3T Ergonova Pro)

Many thanks for your input in advance!

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Tt bikes are great for time trials but not so much for every day riding.
    If I were you I'd stick with drops.
  • polyx
    Forgot to mention that I have another road bike which I use for daily commute. Cervelo is for weekend only.
    So in the core the question is "how TT cockpit is used/handled during hills"
  • lawrences
    lawrences Posts: 1,011
    I don't think that the position wouldn't work very well anyway.

A TT cockpit on a road bike frame doesn't work. Unless your frame is 2cm+ too small for you and you have an inline seatpost with the seat all the way forwards your position will be rubish. A cheap TT bike that you can get into a proper position on will be money better spent than swapping the cockpit of a road bike.

In terms of the hill climb question it depends on your climbing style. I prefer to stay seated and put down power which allows me to stay in an aero position but some people have to stand up. One way is not necessarily better than the other but it should affect your choice. I certainly wouldn't want to be reaching to the bar end shifters while climbing out the saddle.
  • JackPozzi
    JackPozzi Posts: 1,191
    Go DI2 with tri bars and put satellite shifters on the base bars...
  • polyx
    Thanks everyone for input, very appreciated.
    JackPozzi wrote:
    Go DI2 with tri bars and put satellite shifters on the base bars...
    Oh that's exactly what was looking for.
    A month ago, I watched a TT championship (close to action), and was confused how the heck they were changing gears from the bars ride after the start. Thanks for enlightening! :!:
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Bad idea. A compromised frame will always lead to a compromised position. I ride a lot of TTs, but I rarely train on my TT bike. If you ride TTs then I suggest you stick to clip-ons until you buy a proper TT bike.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • HebdenBiker
    HebdenBiker Posts: 787
    lawrences wrote:
    I don't think that the position wouldn't work very well anyway.

A TT cockpit on a road bike frame doesn't work. Unless your frame is 2cm+ too small for you and you have an inline seatpost with the seat all the way forwards your position will be rubish. A cheap TT bike that you can get into a proper position on will be money better spent than swapping the cockpit of a road bike.

In terms of the hill climb question it depends on your climbing style. I prefer to stay seated and put down power which allows me to stay in an aero position but some people have to stand up. One way is not necessarily better than the other but it should affect your choice. I certainly wouldn't want to be reaching to the bar end shifters while climbing out the saddle.

^^this