Garmin 705 Adds 2 Thousand Miles to Ride?

kipridestacoma
kipridestacoma Posts: 2
edited July 2013 in Road general
Just got home from a sweet ride using my Garmin 705. It performed well with regards to the .GPX route I had loaded, and I was able to give directions to the entire riding group (who were lost).
BUT, others were using Strava on their smart phones and came up with 32 miles at the end of the ride. My 705 arrived at 2'986.42 miles!!! I know I'm getting in shape, but I'm still a few weeks from pedaling 2K in 4 hours.
I came home and uploaded to Garmin connect: The route map looks fine, but the miles were way off and the max speed was 1'585 mph.
OK, (related?) at one point during the ride the Garmin pointed through the trees instead of telling us to take and obvious right turn, so When a prompt came up saying "Off Route, Recalculate?" I clicked yes. It then gave us a good route back to the start. I only mention this wondering if this has something to do with this huge error.
Basics:
I have the magnet weight on the spoke and the chain sprocket.
GPS "seemed" accurate for the entire route )looking at map mode.
This will screw up my odometer reading totals on my bike and I don't really want to remount the Cateye and ruen with 2 devices. Grrrrrrrr
Thank You