Kirkby Stephen hills?

ianbz
ianbz Posts: 27
edited July 2013 in Road general
I'm on holiday next week. Got a cottage booked at Kirkby Stephen. I'm taking my bike. Are there any local cyclists from there that can recommend any hills nearby? Thanks in advance for any replies!

Comments

• supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    A good idea if you're looking for hills is to go onto Strava, explore option, then look for segments near where you are going.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Well if you want to cut to the chase, just head South from Kirkby Stephen for a couple of miles to Nateby and turn left. This is Lamps Moss - one of the few places I've made 50mph on descending. Takes you up to the top of Swaledale and you'll get a nice descent from there. Left turn just before Keld takes you to a well earned pint at the Tan Hill Inn and you can then head back West to Kirkby Stephen. Or you can carry on through Keld and turn right over The Buttertubs pass to Hawes.

Or you can head further South past Nateby to Garsdale and take the Coal Road into Dentdale.

Depending on your fitness, most of these suggestions can be linked into one ride - eg Lamps Moss, Keld, Buttertubs, Hawes, Widdale (to Ribblehead), Dentdale, Coal Road, Kirkby Stephen. That gets you four climbs you'll remember!

TBH, it doesn't really matter where you go - it's all good stuff and on the hilly side as long as you don't head North.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    You could head up to Appleby and pop up Great Dunn Fell (9km climb up to 848m elevation).

(edited cos I mixed up Stephen and Lonsdale :? )
    More problems but still living....