Continental Gatorskin tyres

adowling92
adowling92 Posts: 225
edited July 2013 in Road general
How do these perform in the wet and rain?
Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. --John F. Kennedy

Comments

• mr_joe0606
    mr_joe0606 Posts: 104
    i find mine fine in the wet. i use them on the commuter and winter bike last a long time to.
  • simona75
    simona75 Posts: 336
    Never had a problem with them either. Use them on my commuting bike too. A good solid tyre imo
  • ednino
    ednino Posts: 684
    I found the GP to be a bit better all round and I've not had a puncture yet 1,200 miles in
    But the gator skin were very good too
  • HiCadence
    HiCadence Posts: 40
    I use these and had them well over a year now also never had any problems cycling in heavy rain either.

Worth every penny.
  • adowling92
    adowling92 Posts: 225
    Cheers all!
    Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. --John F. Kennedy
  • Htron
    Htron Posts: 47
    In contrast I find mine don't grip in the cold and wet.

I will replace with GP 4 Seasons when the time comes. I have never had road debris puncture them however.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    My little bro uses Gatorskins and swears by them
    My big bro uses GP4000s and swears by them
    I use GP4Seaons & GP4000s and I don't swear at either ... :)

I've been very happy with the GP4Seasons - the only punctures I've had have been pinch flats - one was a loose stone in the road that I caught with the side of the tyre and the other was riding up a loose rock road (gravel the size of your fist) and I went a bit too fast ... oops!
  • I've used them on my commuter all year round and found them very good tyres, 1 puncture in 3+ years that couldn't be avoided and had no issues with the wet. I personally found them a better tyre than the GP4000s which cut up quite easily.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Had no issues with them but changed them to GP4Seasons on the advice of the LBS (when they needed doing) and found the GP4s to be the superior tyre in every respect.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • I find them horrible in the wet on corners - like riding on hose pipe. I use Vredestein Fortezza folding tyre for training / commute, grippy in wet and easy to change.
  • Neil_aky
    Neil_aky Posts: 211
    You would think there was only Continental making bike tyres...

I tried Gatorskins (like everyone else) when I started riding my road bike and the problem I had was the sidewalls they are really soft and were the cause of many punctures, admittedly on rough roads.

I now use Michelin Lithion2 and they are superb, I am like a stuck record recommending them here but I can't believe they get overlooked so much. If you have the space to fit 25mm version you will not look back. Really comfortable ride (they are quite a big tyre anyway) and I have had no punctures.

Grip wise I have had no problem, but I don't push them... In reviews they get excellent ratings for their grip in the wet.

Have you looked at tyre reviews on BikeRadar:

http://tinyurl.com/qj8wr3l

Worth a look because everyone here (including me) will recommend what they use and may have little experience of anything else.

Dare to be different - you may be surprised what is available outside the usual recommendations.